Mac time machine w/ air port and optik set up

Neighbour

Mac time machine w/ air port and optik set up

Hello!

This is more for users on a mac however if you use time machine to back up your computer on window may apply.

When telus set up optik they use there own wifi system this will NOT work with our time machine 

the work around is to ask that your internet "if you are on optik high speed ask them to install a hub only for your wifi internet this will resolved time machine to stay green

0 Likes
34 REPLIES 34
Community Power User

It's backing up my Macs just fine!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
0 Likes
Neighbour

this would removed the option to back up all my macs make no sense to do that your way sorry

0 Likes
Community Power User

@lafrance

Another option is to connect your Time Capsule to the Telus Gateway with an Ethernet cable, and turn the  Wi-Fi and Router functions off on the Time Capsule, using the Airport Utility.  This makes it a simple disk on your network, and your Macs will back up using Time Machine whenever connected to your Telus Wi-Fi or to Ethernet.   Just be sure the Ethernet Cable from the Telus Gateway is connected to one of the three LAN ports on the Time Capsule, and not to the WAN port.  Smooth as silk!

NFtoBC

Awesome.! I cant figure out how to do this...."and turn the  Wi-Fi and Router functions off on the Time Capsule, using the Airport Utility."

Can you explain a bit more?? I haven't had anything backed up for months and am freaking out 😃

thanks!

0 Likes
Community Power User

With your Time Capsule connected to your network with an Ethernet cable:

Open the Airport Utility (Launchpad > Other)

Choose the Time Capsule you want to modify. Select Edit

Under the Internet tab choose Connect Using: DHCP

Under the Wireless Tab choose Network Mode: Off

Under the Network Tab choose Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)

Select Update

NFtoBC

This helped - then I found I had to "connect" to the external drive in the Finder window. 

0 Likes
Helpful Neighbour

I had my AirPort Time Capsule connected to my Telus fibreoptic wireless router since switching to TELUS a few months ago and had intermittent issues since. I followed the directions on this post, using the Time Capsule solely as a storage device (no wifi connection) on the network and my devices would intermittently not connect to the wifi network. I also had problems with my FibreOptic TV intermittently disconnecting and being stuck on the "initializing..." screen. Since removing the Time Capsule from the wireless router I haven't had any issues.

Too bad, because I loved having my computer wirelessly backup and store files on my Time Capsule.

0 Likes

Out of a 'LAN' on the Telus router into a 'WAN' on the Time Capsule?

0 Likes
Community Power User

@Emperor12 wrote:

Out of a 'LAN' on the Telus router into a 'WAN' on the Time Capsule?

LAN to LAN.

NFtoBC
0 Likes

Hmmmm...I thought it was working but....it's just stuck on 'preparing backup'...

0 Likes
Community Power User

If it has been some time since you last created a backup, it can take some time - it has to determine what is the same & what changed. Just let it whirr away - it may take some hours for the first new backup to complete.

NFtoBC
0 Likes

"Backup disk not available" It cant find my Time Capsule....one of the Airport Utility settings must not be right....wireless should really be turned off? It is not physically connected to my computer....the wireless goes through the router?

0 Likes
Community Power User

Yes, the wireless should go through the router.

What happens when you use the Airport Utility when your computer is connected to the router by Wi-Fi?

Edit: You have selected the disk in System Preferences > Time Machine?

Edit: Just completed a backup while connected to my Wi-Fi, and no hardwire connection.

NFtoBC
0 Likes

ya the drive is selected in Time Machine preferences...

thing.jpg

0 Likes