cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low wired upload speed on 50/10 plan

JimmyJunior
Friendly Neighbour

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded to the 50/10 plan and have only been able to achieve a maximum of 2.25 mbps upload speed on a wired connection (and 40 mbps download, but that's within an acceptable range).

I previously had the 25/5 and 15/1 plans, and only got about .5mbps and 1 mbps on each plan respectively. Since they generally hit 50% of the advertised speed, it fell within Telus' acceptable range for the upload speed, but when I called support they acknowledged that getting 2.25mbps on a 10mbps plan shouldn't be happening.

While on the phone, they tried doing a factory reset on the modem (T2200H) and changing the wifi channels, but couldn't come up with any other ideas.

A related issue is that whenever I do upload anything, I can't connect to the internet on any other device through a wireless or wired connection. I've moved since having this issue, so it doesn't seem to have to do with my location, and they supplied a new modem with the 50/10 plan so I'm guessing it's not a hardware issue either.

TL;DR Version:
Getting 20% of my advertised upload speed on wired connection. Download speed is fine.
Can't access internet with other devices while uploading.
Moved and got a new modem since having the issue - location and hardware issues seem unlikely?

I saw another post that mention that telus might have a lower speed profile assigned to the port - does this sound like it might be what's going on here?

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you log into the modem and go into the Status area, look for the Upstream and Downstream rates. What do they say? 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

JimmyJunior
Friendly Neighbour

Downstream rate is 44150 Kbps

Upstream rate is 1922 Kbps

Telus_Tech
Advocate

@ JimmyJunior

Hi, is it possible that you can visit one of the following speed test websites and post the results:

calgary.speedtest.telus.com

edmonton.speedtest.telus.com

vancouver.speedtest.telus.com

Please choose the one that is closest to you if you don't live in one of the above mentioned cities

If you like this post, please click the "like" button.

For more assistance, you may contact us at www.telus.com/chat

For more info or to chat with one of our support reps please visit us at: www.telus.com/chat
If you like the comment, please click on the Kudos button.

JimmyJunior
Friendly Neighbour

Got 40.43Mbps down and 1.44Mbps up on the speed test.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@ Telus Tech - The upstream rate he posted is a very clear indication of where the issue is. His modem is not connected at full rates. A speedtest would not be beneficial with clear numbers like that.

Jimmy - Call Telus and have them confirm that your line is indeed capable of supporting the full 10mbps upload speed. The upload rate is less than 1/5th what it should be. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

JimmyJunior
Friendly Neighbour

I had to get 2 visits from Telus to try to get the issue fixed (it wasn't), and it turns out it's due to my neighbourhood not usually being eligible for the 50/10 plan, but because I only had the internet plan and not TV, Telus sold it to me anyway.

The first guy to stop by said that the cables they were using leading to the building would likely need to be replaced, but the second person didn't seem to consider it.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

So your area may be just eligible for 25/5 (though upload would still be weak like now). I wonder if they may give you some discounts for that.

JimmyJunior
Friendly Neighbour

Yeah, it sounds like the distance from the relay and an older type of cable being used is what's causing the slower speeds. I had 25/5 before though, and was getting speeds equivalent to the 15/1 plan.

I was told that getting the 25/5 plan again but keeping it on bonded lines from the modem they gave me for the 50/10 might help to maximise the speed. Does that make sense?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes. If they are able to do 25/5 with a bonded connection you'll likely get 25/2 if your current modem speed is any indication.