Low frequency hum in audio from radio stations.

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

TomSawyer
Neighbour

I am experiencing a low frequency hum when listening to the radio stations located in the musicroom. I am using the audio output RCA jacks to my house audio system. The hum is also present when listening through the TV via the HDMI connection. The hum only seems to be on the radio stations. Any suggestions?

Community Power User
Community Power User

That is very odd. Mine seem fine (HDMI). Normally if it was every sound had the ground hum present, you'd think it was a physical connection issue. In this case I'm not sure. There aren't any audio settings I know of specifically related to the radio audio quality. Do you have more than one Optik box? If yes, do all boxes have the issue?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
TomSawyer
Neighbour

Hey Nighthawk, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I was concerned about the actual audio connections that is why I made sure to try on HDMI as well. Not only am I experiencing the hum, also, some of the radio stations have poor sound quality almost like traditional poor radio air reception. For instance, channel 7072 is clear and the hum is present and channel 7022 is less clear (like poor reception) and the hum less audible. I checked all three optik boxes and the results are the same. I think my next step will be to hook up a ground wire to one of the boxes to check if that may eliminate the hum.

Thanks again.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Just a couple of thoughts:

• Are you using quality ethernet cables? If the pairs are untwisted more than about 1/2" problems can occur
  • Have you tried a ferrite choke on the cables?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
TomSawyer
Neighbour

NFtoBC Hello and thanks for responding.

The ethernet cables are the ones supplied by Telus and I do not know the level of quality.

I have not heard of a ferrite choke simply based on my limited technical knowledge. I am assuming the ferrite choke goes on the coax cable?

Thanks again.

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes the choke goes on the cable. You can find them at The Source, and similar places. It is made of the same materials as a magnet, and can cut out AC hum.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
TomSawyer
Neighbour

Thank you, heading out today to purchase one!