cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at fiber, have a couple questions

GC1
Just Moved In

I currently have  Shaw home phone TV and Internet. 

There is only the Shaw cable running to the house, no telephone copper. 

They have strung  Fiber  to the house during the neighborhood upgrade. 

If I  move to Telus  for  Internet, home telephone, and TV, does it all come in on the single fiber or will they have to add copper for the telephone? 

If the phone will be on the fiber, what hardwire and components connect the  in house phone copper to the ONT ?

If the installer put the ONT downstairs  where the Fiber could enter the home, I would have to run Either net cable  to it ( not a problem  me)

That said, if I am routing  CAT6 cable,  would it make more sense  to fiber from the entry point into the home to the upstairs central point where all the Ethernet cables terminate. 

Put the ONT, Wireless Router all in same place?

3 TVs,  what is the best way to connect them ? I have Cat 6 or  the original Coaxial.

Are there any guides someone could point me at, rather than all the seemingly dumb questions?

Thanks for any help or direction

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Chicnstu
Leader

All services will come in on the same Fibre drop. Only 1 is needed to provide everything.

The phone dial tone originates from the ONT. The installer will connect one of the POTS ports on the back of the ONT to the termination block where all the phone jacks in the home come together. This is almost always at the main utility panel.

The Fibre drop will most likely be brought in to the utility panel and the ONT will be installed there. The modem/router can go anywhere in the house as long as it is connected via cat5 or 6 back to the ONT. Existing inside wire behind the phone jacks should already be at least cat5 in a newer home but older homes with old 2 pair wiring will need to have a new line run.

The best way to connect any TV set top box is via cat5/6. The main PVR will need to be hard wired but the other 2 boxes can be wireless so they can go anywhere within adequate range of the modem. Coax can be used with Moca adapters but cat5/6 is always the preferred connection type.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Chicnstu
Leader

All services will come in on the same Fibre drop. Only 1 is needed to provide everything.

The phone dial tone originates from the ONT. The installer will connect one of the POTS ports on the back of the ONT to the termination block where all the phone jacks in the home come together. This is almost always at the main utility panel.

The Fibre drop will most likely be brought in to the utility panel and the ONT will be installed there. The modem/router can go anywhere in the house as long as it is connected via cat5 or 6 back to the ONT. Existing inside wire behind the phone jacks should already be at least cat5 in a newer home but older homes with old 2 pair wiring will need to have a new line run.

The best way to connect any TV set top box is via cat5/6. The main PVR will need to be hard wired but the other 2 boxes can be wireless so they can go anywhere within adequate range of the modem. Coax can be used with Moca adapters but cat5/6 is always the preferred connection type.

Thank you for the quick reply.  

Could you clarify a couple things

"The phone dial tone originates from the ONT. The installer will connect one of the POTS ports on the back of the ONT to the termination block where all the phone jacks in the home come together. "

They terminate in close  proximity to the panel, Fiber drop, just out side

"older homes with old 2 pair wiring will need to have a new line run."

Not sure I understand why the the old  ( 2 out of the 3 ) lines  would need to be replaced 

" The Fibre drop will most likely be brought in to the utility panel and the ONT will be installed there. The modem/router can go anywhere in the house as long as it is connected via cat5 or 6 back to the ONT.

The best way to connect any TV set top box is via cat5/6. The main PVR will need to be hard wired but the other 2 boxes can be wireless so they can go anywhere within adequate range of the modem. "

Yes I can  get from PVR to all 3 TVs  with existing CAT6 , so that would be best?

So from ONT to PVR  will be CAT 6 , the CAT 6  from ONT to Router  has to be a separate line? 

So if PVR and Modem are side by side upstairs, I will need to run 2 new CAT6 cables from them down to ONT , correct ? 

Thanks

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@GC1 wrote:

Yes I can  get from PVR to all 3 TVs  with existing CAT6 , so that would be best?

Yes, Cat6 from the router to the PVR and other set-top boxes would be best.

So from ONT to PVR  will be CAT 6 , the CAT 6  from ONT to Router  has to be a separate line? 

Yes. The Ethernet line from the ONT to the WAN port on the router is a separate line. There is only one operational port on the ONT. 

So if PVR and Modem are side by side upstairs, I will need to run 2 new CAT6 cables from them down to ONT , correct ? 

No, the PVR connects to the Router, not the ONT. So a single line is all that is necessary between the ONT and router. On the other hand, if running Ethernet cables, it is easy to run two to each location while doing the work, at little extra cost, providing a redundant line for future use, even if currently unterminated.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I have everything wired off of the same cable. So ONT ---(cat 6)---> Router ---(Cat 6) ---> Switch connected to PVR and other devices such as my Xbox.

Maybe you ment this but I think what the op was asking was if the cat 6 to the PVR needs to be dedicated lines which is not the case. Maybe I misunderstood his question though.

@GC1 wrote:

"older homes with old 2 pair wiring will need to have a new line run."

Not sure I understand why the the old  ( 2 out of the 3 ) lines  would need to be replaced 

There is no reason to replace the old wiring.  I just switched from Shaw phone to Telus phone in a 55+ year-old house.  All the installer did was unplug from the Shaw phone box and plug into the ONT.  Everything works as expected.

The wiring needs to be replaced with Cat5 or a new line run if the line is going to be used to hard wire a network device, not phones. I should have clarified that in my original reply. 

Ok.  That makes sense.

Wish I'd thought of piggy-backing phone on Cat5 when I ran some Cat5 in the basement a few years ago. Smiley Indifferent