cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest scam

Likarok
Connector

For about the last 3 weeks every day Ii get an automated call. Different number every day. and it just keeps calling from about 8:00am to 5:00 pm everyday. When you answer there is no one there. Have spoke to Telus about this and they have advised that I use the call bloke feature. The thing is that I will have to add the new phone number every day!

Anyone else have this issue and what are you doing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

They're nearly impossible to block. The scammer fakes the number they call from and change it often. Most cases the calls originate outside of Canada so tracking them down is nearly impossible. If you can get a human on the line at any point from the scammers end, advise them they have called a business number. That'll usually stop them from calling. Worked for me.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

How often per day are the calls? At some point it becomes harassment, and a police matter.  You can also call the 'Do Not Call' folks with the numbers of those spammers.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Have you dealt with the RCMP lately? They can't even write a traffic ticket properly! HAHAHA

What is funny is that one day we got an answer. It was a guy claiming to be from Telus saying he needed to access my computer for security updates. My told him we are old and don't have a computer. It was not 5 minutes later that the same guy called back, this time he was claiming to be from another company. She gave him an azz chewing!

We get calls that say on our call display are from Georgia, from New Jersey, from BC, from Quebec and even from the same small town we live in Alberta.

Yeah it's called ghosting. They put random numbers in the call display from North America. Often they aren't even calling from the same continent which is why they are so hard to track 😞

Mobility Client Care Rep

Caller ID Spoofing is the real name.

Details

CRTC page (if the spoofed caller is international, nothing they can do)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Reading about it it looks like not a hell of a lot can be done! Lots of info about what causes it or what is happening but not much on stopping it!

What is funny to is that it is basically only working during work hours. Starts ringing at 8:00am and stops at 5:00pm.

Things I do...

• if you don't recognize the caller id phone number.... don't answer.
  • get an answering machine.... their machine can talk to my machine.
  • don't sign up for contests with your phone number

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@xl wrote:

Things I do...

• don't sign up for contests with your phone number

Can't emphasize this one nearly enough.

It is like it is some company or something...........only calls during business hours and on week days! Not a call today! Entered my number in National Do Not Call List, trying Telus call blocker and go from there I guess???????

Oh hallelujah

Mobility Client Care Rep

Maybe they have a scammer call center where they make hourly? 

Mobility Client Care Rep

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

They're nearly impossible to block. The scammer fakes the number they call from and change it often. Most cases the calls originate outside of Canada so tracking them down is nearly impossible. If you can get a human on the line at any point from the scammers end, advise them they have called a business number. That'll usually stop them from calling. Worked for me.

View solution in original post

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
You can also buy a phone with DECT 6.0 to block calls and have more control. Did that with our business line from a scam demanding money (directory listing scam). Blocked 40 numbers from various scams.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.