cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L.D. Admin.fee

mullins
Neighbour

I recently viewed my elderly father telus bill. There is a charge $4.95 L.D admin fee.

Checking on line this charge is for grandfathered Long Distance Plans. I call it a penalty fee.

My father pays a higher rate for L.D. $24.95 a month plus this admin fee. 

Current rates are $20.00 for the same  L.D. plan with no admin fee.

This is a cash grab. Everyone who has this fee on their bill should contact telus and have them explain why there is a $ 4.95 fee/penalty for having a decrepit L.D. plan.  Have it reimbursed.

This stinks like the old rotary phone rental charge that telus had for all those years.

This is why Telus will never have my Business

12 REPLIES 12

Dark_Knight
Rockstar

@mullinshave you switched to a new plan? Seems like a pretty simple fix. 🙂

iPhone power user

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The new plans without the admin fee have been around for some time. Just depends if you review your statement regularly or notice the new plans being advertised. No carrier will automatically update service to the newest. Not even Shaw. Plans are regularly grandfathered and will only be updated if you call in.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

mullins
Neighbour

mullins
Neighbour

Maybe I wasn't clear. Telus is charging a penalty for not changing your plan.

For example if you have a grand fathered L.D plan that has you paying $50.00 a month they will charge you and admin fee of $ 4.95

Telus is not satisfied, that they are making more money off the old grand fathered than any current plan. They still want to grab $4.95 and call it admin fee.  You think that is right ? What extra administration are they doing ?? 

They currently couldn't offer a rate that high any more, because people would laugh and move services.

But Telus isn't content with  just collecting the older, higher priced plans. They want the $ 4.95 also.

If anyone has this fee on their bill,you are being ripped off !!  Call Telus and have them explain what the  $4.95 fee is . Especially if you or a parent have an old Telus Long Distance Plan. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your rant is off base. If a subscriber is never curious what else is out there, or never questions what's on their statements, and/or ignores advertising, how is that Telus' fault? It's also not a penalty. The admin fee was common on all long distance plans before 2008.

Telus won't automatically change what it charges you without your permission. Shaw's the exact same way. Plans change. Telus advertises them. The customer can decide if they want to change.

As Telus' website says:

Long Distance Administration Fee

To provide continued enhancements on our long distance networks, TELUS charges an administration fee for customers who are on select grandfathered long distance plans. The long distance administration fee is $4.95 per month. Clients subscribed to a current, in-market long distance plan are no longer charged the administration fee.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I dont think its a rant. Its a blatant cash grab by big Corporation . I am going to let the CCTS decide if im in the wrong or not. I will post outcome.

Dimo-X

Hi Mullins, 

A question if you will. Looking back to the first time your father added the LD services, was he not also charged the $4.95 L.D admin fee back then? You can always call TELUS or reach out to @TELUSsupport to have them look further into it. I had on several occasions old grandfathered plans on my account that included fees that were no longer "current". i.e. SAF: System Access Fee. If I had not updated my plan, I would still be charged the SAF till today, but would not consider that to be a penalty fee.

Regards,

Dimo-X 

tsizzle
Leader

Have to side with Nighthawk here, from the sounds of things your father just hasn't been reviewing his bill to ensure he's getting the best deal and likely has had the same set up since before 2008. If the fee is totally avoidable by switching to a cheaper in-market plan with the same or better services, how is this unfair exactly? 

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

I don't side with Nighthawk on this one. I think this is a shameful practice by Telus, albeit one that's well known.

Telus changes their price and terms to customers all the time as long as it benefits Telus financially, so they can't use the excuse that they are just keeping things the same unless the customer requests otherwise.

Also this is not a one-time deal - they charge their customers the current fee every month. If they revise their standard pricing for some customers, they should do the same for all. How would you feel if you go to a coffee shop every day and they charge you $5 for your standard drink and snack, but one day you notice that they are charging the guy in front of you $4 for the same thing. They changed the price, but they didn't tell you because you were willing to pay $5. Are you going to feel cheated? Heck yes!

Dark_Knight
Rockstar

@Doug1Ames1 with that logic everyone should have the same plan no matter what the circumstance (tenure, usage, etc). 

Landline and cellular services are not a one size fits all model. The onus is always going to be on the consumer to know what they are paying for and to educate themselves about what's new in the market.

Example: You own a two bedroom apartment in Vancouver and your friend owns a large ocean view house in North Van. Do you expect that you should both pay the same amount for hydro? Not likely. 

The OP's father was likely paying for this plan, and associated fees, for years. If he never bothered to check his bill, then that's on him. 

My two cents...

iPhone power user

mullins
Neighbour

mullins
Neighbour

Update:  Telus returned the LD fee for the full amount. It was appx 3 years or $ 180.00 of charges,

They called it a loyalty gesture. My father was satisfied with this outcome and has decided to stay with Telus as a customer for now under a new plan with no LD fees.

I suggested he try an alternative company but he declined.

I / we  never got an appropriate answer for the reasoning behind this charge, but I am no longer willing to spend any more time dealing with Telus.

I leave it up to each individual to decide if this charge is legit or cash grab?