It shows my wifi is connected but it wont actually download anything or load anything

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

I moved my router to my main level(it was in my basement) so I would get better wifi coverage in our bedrooms. And once I plugged it in, it shows our phones are connected to wifi but it won't actually load the Interent. What did I do wrong!? I don't want to plug it back in down stairs. I want to figure this out so I have better service 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

It is possible the jack in the upstairs levels of your home is not connected to the internet wiring. If Telus placed the line filter at the point of demarcation on the outside of the house, it is possible they separated the jack in the basement from the phone network, and set it up as internet only. If you are unfamiliar with setting up phone & internet wiring, I suggest you either find a friend who is, or contact Telus to send a tech to adjust the wiring so you can have the gateway in a better location. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Odds are the modem had a specific phone jack that was hardwired for it to work with. Moving it to another phone jack means no internet signal but wireless devices will still connect to the router as that is independent of internet access. Is the Internet/DSL light OFF on the modem currently?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂