cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with T3200M modem

DavidR8
Helpful Neighbour

I have a newly installed T3200M modem/router.

I have excellent signal strength and speed however I am plagued but connection issues.

Repeatedly through the day our devices, laptops, phones etc just drop the connection and reconnect.

Our Roku TV often says it has no connection. Shut it off and it's connected.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues and is there a resolution?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DavidR8 ,

I know you tried turning SmartSteering off and it made things worse. Now, however when you have better channels selected for 5G and 2.4G, you may want to try it again. Then sign in your devices to one SSID or the other to see where they work best. In general 2.4G may have longer range if that is an issue. 

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Just tested my iPhone 8+ with my new channel of 11 selected on 2.4G and got 71 Mbps download and 6 ms ping. I have Internet 75 service. My Router is a T3200M. However with my older laptop Asus PC on 5G I only got 34 down and 21 up, with a 16 ms ping.

The T3200M sucks on wifi.  I'm on Internet 150 and when on cat5e ethernet cable I get more than 160 up and down.  My modem is upstairs in a 2 story house sitting on a 1/2 wall that is open to below.  On wifi, if I'm a few feet from the modem sitting just below it on my stairs, I get about around 135 down and 150 up.  6 feet away and just around the corner in my kitchen the wifi speed drops to 85 down and 65 up.  I turn the laptop around and put it 3 feet closer I get 104 down  and 81 up.  I thought this router would be better than this.  I'm on channels 11 and 161, one neighbor near me is on channel 11 and 149 is showing a signal quality of 25 and 45.

My old Motorola router when I was with Shaw on Internet 75 would get around 80 down and 15 up on wifi everywhere in the house with no issues.

Check your device WiFi status for the download and upload link speeds. What are they?

It may just be an issue with the quality of the wifi chip in your laptop. Check other devices and see if you're having similar issues. You can also turn on smart steering so that it will automatically switch between 2.4 and 5 ghz. Then you just get the strongest connection in the moment.

DavidR8
Helpful Neighbour

@RonAKAafter running some diagnostics yesterday I switched to channels to 11 for 2.4 and 161 for 5G.

On Internet 25 (Yeah I know...slow like a turtle 😄 ) I get download of 26Mbps and upload of 6 Mbps on copper.
Connection issues seem to have gone away also.

DavidR8
Helpful Neighbour

Additional post because I found out that our Roku TV would not stay connected last night.
So back to Telus I go...

@DavidR8 ,

I know you tried turning SmartSteering off and it made things worse. Now, however when you have better channels selected for 5G and 2.4G, you may want to try it again. Then sign in your devices to one SSID or the other to see where they work best. In general 2.4G may have longer range if that is an issue. 

DavidR8
Helpful Neighbour

@RonAKAYes, I turned it back on. Turing it off was for a few hours better, then it was a complete disaster with no devices being able to hold a connection if they were able to connect at all.