Is there a Telus Internet service that I can use in Canada and the USA ?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

gilesaj
Neighbour

I am returning back to Canada in November after living in Australia for a number of years.  

I would like to get a plan / service that I can use in Canada and the USA for contacting to the internet.   If it could also be used by my unlocked phone that would be a bonus.

Does Telus have a plan like that ??

Most Helpful
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

For a wireless option if you travel frequently between the countries.... Some thoughts....

• 4G in Australia uses different frequencies than in North America.  Australia sued Apple to change the 4G iPad to the new name Cellular.  Are you planning to get a new 4G device for North America?  Otherwise do some testing to avoid dissappointment.
  • Where do you plan to be in North America?  Telus offers better coverage in suburban Canada compared to other carriers.
  • How long do you plan to be in Canada and how long in the USA?  Are you willing to sign up for multiple contracts?
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

To my knowledge, there are no North America-wide Internet Service Providers. There are various options for connectivity to a data-enabled phone, including the various roaming agreements or use of an additional SIM card.  IF you more fully desribe what you are seeking, the community members here might be better able to provide suggestions & solutions.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Most Helpful
gilesaj
Neighbour

@xl    I am thinking that I will be in Canada most of the year and going down south in the Winter.  I will become a snowbird I guess ??

I will be travelling all over Canada as I plan to be travelling in an RV full time.   

gilesaj
Neighbour

NFtoBC    I plan to be travelling around Canada in an RV full time and going to the States in the Winter.  

I have a web page that I run from a server in the US and I would like to have a service that I can send a picture from a camera mounted on my RV every minute.  I want an Internet connection that will let me do this throughout Canada at least and I will look in the US when I need it.

Thanks

http://dingo-den.com

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Some thoughts...

• check out Telus's coverage map.  Not sure how remote your travels will take you.
    http://mobility.telus.com/en/BC/Canada/3Gplus.shtml
  • look at the ATT coverage map for US travels
  • have you consider satellite services for remote locations
  • is it essential for pictures to be updated by the minute?  This sounds expensive, especially if the images are high resolution and using satellite.  Have you considered taking all your pictues (or a time lapse video?).  Then do the upload when you get to restaurant/hotel wifi during a break or when you go to bed?
Most Helpful
gilesaj
Neighbour

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will have to look into it more when I work out what I am doing when I get there.  I think maybe a Telus plan for Canada and a http://www.roammobility.com plan for the USA might be the go ??

Thanks

Most Helpful
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Yes, for coverage Telus is your best choice in Canada.

With regards to Roam Mobility

• I love Roam Mobility when I travelling to the States
  • pay attention to Roam Mobility T-Mobile partnership coverage areas.  There is no Roam Mobility coverage in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Jellystone and a few other US states.  Thus ATT may be a better choice for coverage in those situations.
  • Roam Mobility offers the ability to call back to Canada, however US providers will be cheaper.  Do your research.