cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the USB port on the latest Telus modem active?

Zman2k2
Ambassador

Hi all.  New member.  Long time Shaw customer, fed up finally.  Switching to Telus soon.

I have a question regarding the v1200t modem, is the USB port active?  I have USB connected network storage, and if I could consolidate,  and lose my personal router, it would be great.  If not, is it easy to put the modem in bridge mode, so that I can keep my USB storage?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xray
Guardian

Using bridge mode disables the router capabilities which includes the HPNA connections. So unless your other router has HPNA connections you won't be able to connect via coax.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have a working setup, I suggest bridging your modem. There are a number of discussions on this board about that option. You should be able to bridge Port 1 on your modem. If needed you may be able to get an upgrade to the more recent T1200H modem, which definitely allows bridging of Port 1.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Zman2k2
Ambassador

Okay.  Was hoping to consolidate, but if bridging is better, then that's fine too. Thanks for the reply.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Also, there is an Article on the Neighbourhood on this topic.

http://forum.telus.com/articles/52181/home/bridge-mode---using-your-own-router

NFtoBC

Zman2k2
Ambassador

Just thought of something.  One box will be connected by Cat5, I assume I plug that into my personal router.  But I'll have one box connected by coax.  If the Telus router is in bridge mode, will I still be able to access recordings on the box connected by coax?  Because they won't be connected to the same device?

xray
Guardian

Using bridge mode disables the router capabilities which includes the HPNA connections. So unless your other router has HPNA connections you won't be able to connect via coax.

View solution in original post

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@xray

So it is not possible to use the T1200H in Bridge mode and have wireless TV?  The T1200H properly manages the multicast aspect of IPTV, but many routers don't, so is there a solution to this? I would think the second router could be used with the DHCP function turned off, and all IP assignments managed from the Actiontec should work?

NFtoBC

Zman2k2
Ambassador

Thanks all.  Looks like I'm ready for the 25th. 🙂

xray
Guardian

@NFtoBC, I don't have a T1200H so I'm going by limited understanding of how bridge mode is implemented in general. Using bridge mode means the modem component is now talking to the external router rather than the internal router. The wireless functionality is part of the internal router so even if it remains on it won't have access to the Internet or the external router.

@Zman2k2​, check out this thread for information on how I have my network set up using my own router.

http://forum.telus.com/thread/38684/category/Home_Services/board/My_Home_Services_and_Devices/i-set-...

This should work for you unless you are an online gamer in which case you may experience lag due to double NAT to the second router.

Zman2k2
Ambassador

Interesting. I've got FTTH in my neighborhood,  so I'm not sure how the install will go.  I'm hoping to have the Actiontec router installed in the office, put it in bridge mode, and use my Asus as the main router.  I hope that doesn't complicate things too much for the install.  I have a switch with a VIP port behind my entertainment unit, and have the XBOXONE, receiver, and TV connected to it.  The VIP port is open, for the PVR.  Ethernet is already run to the second TV, so I hope the long part of the install is getting the fibre from the front of the house, to the office in the rear.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Zman2k2

Sounds similar to my set up. I just turned DHCP off on my two secondary routers and do not use the WAN port. No problems.

NFtoBC

Zman2k2
Ambassador

So for the installer, running the fibre shouldn't be a problem?  That's nice to know.  And the switch I have with the VIP port should be good for the PVR?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

From: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29402258-T1200-2200-Information-Thread

"Bridge mode !! I have seen so many requests for this its not even funny. The 'Port1 Bridge' will turn the LAN 1 port into a pass though and anything plugged into that port will be assigned a WAN IP - IE your own $200 router. This option does not turn the gateway into a dumb modem - it will still grab its own WAN IP and will be able to run TTV service and handle its own internet traffic - IE: On Demand and TTV Apps + anything else you might choose to connect to the Actiontec's other 3 LAN ports + WIFI."

NFtoBC

Zman2k2
Ambassador

Well, I just read in another thread, that the USB port can be used on the 1200, if you activate Samba.  If that's the case, then I wouldn't need to worry about my router, and use the 1200 exclusively.  I just have to wait til the 25th, then I can play around myself.  Until then, all I have are questions.