Is it common practice to continue service for a year without payments to build a payment?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident
My son lost his job and suffers from a disablity and couldn't pay his bill, but instead of disconnecting his service you continued to provide service for over a year without payment. Is common telus practice? Is there not something in you terms of service about disconnecting service after 2 months of non payment or some kind of regulation that prohibits building a bill up like that? Vary disappointed.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

You realize the neighbourhood is filled with customers, just like you, who offer knowledge and support to help others with their use of Telus services? As such we have no ability to effect change to a bill.

Usually, Telus calls and emails clients once a bill is past due, and in most instances does cancel services after some time of non-payment. My suggestion is to contact Telus, with supporting information about your son's disability, and politely ask for a re-consideration of the bill. However, at this point, the fees may have been sold to a collection agency so your avenue of appeal may be there instead of Telus. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Connector

Generally telecom companies have dollar amount limits and time frames they follow before they disconnect. So depending on how much was owing and if any payments at all were paid it could effect the disconnection date

Ultimately if somebody doesn't need their service or want it anymore as customers we should make some decisions on our own. If you continue to use a service, by all means you should pay for it. The company does send out statements each month with amounts owing and for what time, with details like overdue balance etc as well. This can't be all on the company themselves. 

Highlighted
Rockstar

Are you sure that Telus didn't terminate the service for over a year being past due?  I would think it is more likely the amount would be for the remainder of the contract, which may possibly include hardware.