Internet repair

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident
I got Internet through you guys 4 years ago. You ran a temporary line down my siding, drilling holes in it, and then put the line along the grass, under the fence and across the alley. I hit it with the lawn mower last week. I fought to NOT have to pay the $75 for the repair, and the guy came to fix it. He just wrapped the cord back together with electrical tape.
Now my Internet is spotty and **bleep**ty.
Get it together....I expect someone here tomorrow to run the line underground (FOUR YEARS LATER), take the screws out of my siding, and compensate me for time wanted, crappy service and damaged siding on my house.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unfortunately this is just the user forums and has no connection with having a tech come to your house. If you need a tech out to do what you are asking, you will have to call in and request it, and be specific what you want when you call. Be direct to the point but also be polite. You'll find that anyone you talk to in person or over the phone will be willing to help a nice person more. Note that getting a line installed may take a little longer than having a standard repair tech out. Much longer if it has to be trenched in as there tends to be a waiting list in most areas.

As for your house, four years is a long time. Either you're in a tiny little remote town or just haven't asked the right questions when you called in or a tech visiting your house. I'd have followed up regularly to ensure it is done. Telus isn't going to be 100% at fault on this. Was your original line run through an underground conduit or aerial? If it was aerial, it'll be reinstalled as aerial. Buried conduit on your property will not be free to install as it is a lot of work to replace it or even install it initially, especially if it has to cross a roadway or alley to be installed.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Beaten to the punch by @Nighthawk !

Actually, trenching is the responsibility of the homeowner. Telus will place conduit as described in the linked document, once the trench, and ancillary infrastructure is installed at the site.

I'm surprised this wire was run along the ground and not from a pole.  Are you certain it was Telus staff and not a second party contractor who did the initial installation? The Telus Techs I know want the work done right the first time so they don't have to go back. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus will run the drop along the ground in as safe a manner as possible if the line cannot be readily replaced. Can happen if the old buried line (assuming house is old, before conduit was code) was just trenched in without a conduit, or somehow the conduit was compromised (water, crushed). I know in rural Alberta, it can take quite some time to get trenched in as there is high demand. (Months or years in some cases.) Many property owners will do their own trenching and lay their own conduit and as long as it meets code, Telus will just come run a new line. If OP's drop crosses an alley, then permission from the city may be needed, depending on where she lives, before any work can be done.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂