Internet quality gradually gets worse until I restart the router

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

swagstaff
Neighbour

My speed is pretty well always what I pay for, but I've noticed that my internet gets significantly worse until I restart the router. My speeds drop to ~2mbps, but the most impacted factor is my ping. When playing Black Ops 3 online for example, I've noticed that I had a jitter of ~200ms until I restarted the router. My ping usually hovers around 60, but it will gradually get up to around 120 and from there will bounce from anywhere between 120 and 350ms. Making the internet highly unuseful. Any fix to this, possibly in the router settings page?

Community Power User
Community Power User
  1. What city/town/village are you in?
  2. What is the internet speed you subscribe to? When you do a speedtest what are the exact results?
  3. Is this only impacting one device or every device in the house?
  4. When did the problem start and how often does it occur?
  5. Are you connecting via wifi or wired to the gateway?
  6. Which modem/gateway do you have?
  7. In the modem's status page, what speed does it show you connected as? (Location varies depending which modem you have)

Lastly, have you called Telus to ensure your connection doesn't have a ton of errors on it making the modem unstable?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
swagstaff
Neighbour

1. I'm in Grimshaw, Alberta

2. I pay for 6mbps, with speedtest usually reaching around 5.8

3. I can't confirm for every device in the house, but when I notice it on one device I promptly try speedtest on my phone, which always confirms the problems

4. This has been a problem since I began subscribing to the service, and I usually need to restart the modem around twice a day to get optimal speeds

5. My Playstation 4 when connected via ethernet never has this issue, but all devices connected via wifi have the issue.

6. I have the Actiontec v1000h

7. Downstream: 7167kbps, upstream 937kbps

I have called telus, and they said they didn't see any issue

Community Power User
Community Power User

Well if the PS4 on ethernet doesn't have the issue, it sounds like something in the house or really near the modem or PS4 is interfering with the wireless rather significantly. Where is the modem located in the house and how far away is the PS4? Is there anything near either device that consumes a lot of electricity or could generate a lot of interference? (Electrical panel, appliances, flux capacitor, tesla coil, etc.)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
swagstaff
Neighbour

The affected devices are about 10 feet away, and there's no interference generating appliances near the router. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Weird. If only 10ft, I'd use ethernet myself. Maybe the wireless on the gateway is messed up.