cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet not working - "Internet" light on modem not lit

alex87
Just Moved In

Hello,

I recently had to unplug my desktop PC and modem to do some painting around my home.  I've since plugged everything back in, but I'm unable to get an internet connection.  The "Internet" light on my Actiontek modem isn't lit up or blinking or anything, so I was initially thinking there was a connection issue and I tried unplugging the cable that runs from the wall into the modem and replugging it into the WAN and LAN ports on the back, but nothing seemed to work.

Right now I'm worried that maybe I damaged a cable or something while painting, or possibly a cable is plugged into the wrong port, but I'm not really sure what to do at this point.  Should I maybe do a factory reset and see if that works?   

FYI, my desktop PC is hardwired into the modem and isn't running on WiFi or anything.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Telus_Tech
Advocate

Hello alex87

Since your computer is hardwired it should be pretty straight forward.

If you are living in a home where you still use copper lines

Then the only thing you have to make sure is that the phone wire is plugged into the "phone" into the back of the modem and the other end is plugged into the original phone jack in the wall. Next make sure that the ethernet cable that you are connecting between your modem and your computer is plugged into one of the LAN ports and NOT the WAN port.

Note: If you have home phone service, make sure NOT to use a filter on the phone wire for the modem.

If you are living in a home where you have fibre optic.

Than make sure that you have an ethernet cable going between either from a jack on the wall or a white box that says "Alcatel Lucent" on it and the WAN port on the modem. Next make sure to have an ethernet cable going between the modem, in one of the LAN port, and your computer.

Hope this helps.

For more info or to chat with one of our support reps please visit us at: www.telus.com/chat
If you like the comment, please click on the Kudos button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Telus_Tech
Advocate

Hello alex87

Since your computer is hardwired it should be pretty straight forward.

If you are living in a home where you still use copper lines

Then the only thing you have to make sure is that the phone wire is plugged into the "phone" into the back of the modem and the other end is plugged into the original phone jack in the wall. Next make sure that the ethernet cable that you are connecting between your modem and your computer is plugged into one of the LAN ports and NOT the WAN port.

Note: If you have home phone service, make sure NOT to use a filter on the phone wire for the modem.

If you are living in a home where you have fibre optic.

Than make sure that you have an ethernet cable going between either from a jack on the wall or a white box that says "Alcatel Lucent" on it and the WAN port on the modem. Next make sure to have an ethernet cable going between the modem, in one of the LAN port, and your computer.

Hope this helps.

For more info or to chat with one of our support reps please visit us at: www.telus.com/chat
If you like the comment, please click on the Kudos button.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
Sometimes it takes a few hours to acquire an IP. If after a half day, I would call Telus to diagnose the problem.

nasty
Rockstar

Make sure no one accidentally got paint in the wall Internet outlet. Whether they removed it from the wall or if it was just hanging there.

If it is a Ethernet wall plate, make sure the the Ethernet cable behind it is still attached or plugged in.

Heres an image of an Actiontec V1000H and ports

actiontec v1000 rear label.jpg

Wall Data outlet. Lower one is the data port and the upper is a modified phone line port.

wall data outlet.jpg

If you are on copper and the installer installed a two phone outlet plate, one should be for phone and one for internet. Usually a sticker is applied to show which is which.

wall phone outlet.jpg