cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet issue: only receive connection in one spot in my top floor

Braedo
Neighbour

I recently moved into a new house and got the internet setup but shortly after I realized that I only get internet in one spot in my room on the top floor (if I am not in this spot I have no connection at all) but in the rest of the house the Internet is fine. Does anyone else have this issue or know what the problem is and how to fix it?

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The distance between the room and the router is too far. The floors/walls/etc will be weakening the signal too much. You may want to possible consider a wireless repeater or signal booster. Where did they install the modem in the house?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Braedo
Neighbour

They placed the modem on the middle floor but the signal is fine on the first floor no matter where I go. I even get signal all throughout the basement

xray
Guardian

There may be duct work directly above the router that blocks top floor from the wireless signal. As a test try moving the router around to see if the dead/live zones moves as well. Also try moving the antenae around. 

Braedo
Neighbour

Braedo
Neighbour

Ok I'll give it a try. Also I see commercials for shaw and their extra modems that you can place throughout your house. Does Telus have a version of this?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes. The add on units and installation is free for higher speed (50 and 100 Mbps) service and a fee of $100 is charged for slower speed service.

See this link: http://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/wi-fi-plus.jsp

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"