Internet consumption skyrockets after moving?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

Hi,

I have tried to contact Telus customer service via every avenue possible (online chat, #611, and 1-800). The online chat disconnected and now there are 42 people ahead of me in the queue. I am going to lose my mind. Phone wait times have been 1+ hour for the past week.

We moved at the end of November. A service technician came and hooked up our internet at our new place. Since this happened, we have exceeded our internet useage (200gb) for the first time in our multi-year history as telus customers. We usually consume 75-130gb, never near the 200gb max. We have not changed our consumption behaviour since moving. I was wondering if there was something the technician maybe did wrong when hooking it up to cause this to occur? I am furious. We are giving Telus SO MUCH MONEY per month. Our mobility bill is ridiculous, as our telus wifi is constantly disconnecting on our phones causing us to use more data than we would otherwise want to. 

Please advise if anyone else has experienced this after re-hooking up a service. I am literally at my wits end.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Connector

If you upgraded to 4k in your new home there is a chance watching things like Netflix or youtube in 4k are the culprit for your increased data usage. 4k uses approximately 4 times as much data/bandwidth as traditional HD. If you are not watching any more than usual, but watching in a higher resolution that could be the root. It is worth looking into so you can avoid any potential extra charges, I suggest adding unlimited data on telus.com/myaccount as they give the first month free when you add it yourself. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

There were some conversations on this topic through the summer. You would be best to call Telus and ask they assess your connection.

You have checked that you do not have an open Wi-Fi, allowing others to use your connection? Have you been streaming video?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Connector

If you upgraded to 4k in your new home there is a chance watching things like Netflix or youtube in 4k are the culprit for your increased data usage. 4k uses approximately 4 times as much data/bandwidth as traditional HD. If you are not watching any more than usual, but watching in a higher resolution that could be the root. It is worth looking into so you can avoid any potential extra charges, I suggest adding unlimited data on telus.com/myaccount as they give the first month free when you add it yourself. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident

Identical problem.

Usage over 5+ yrs 25-50 GB / month

Usage after service move at start of December now up to 300+ GB.

No streaming, downloading, YouTube, Netflix; etc etc.

Just minor Facebook Gaming, E-mail, minor browsing as always.

Telus WebChat was useless as no resolution was achieved.

What a waste of 2 hrs!

Gave me a number to call (310-2255)

Highlighted
Resident

Screenshot-2018-1-3 Usage meters My Account TELUS com.png

Resident

I’m curious if you solved this matter.  The same thing has occurred to us, and Telus has been unable to advise. Currently on day 15 we have used 810 g. Average usually is below 150. 

@Bermack wrote:

Screenshot-2018-1-3 Usage meters My Account TELUS com.png

Highlighted
Coach

Hi

Almost the same here, but without the move, albeit on lower figures. Jump from an average of 14GB to 24GB last month on my 25/25 Pure Fibre. No WiFi, only Ethernet in the house. Looks as if they suddenly count erroneously PikTv too. Otherwise it's just not possible. No changes in my daily usage: No streaming, no new TV set, no downloads, no kids. Honestly T is technically very good but otherwise they suck in every department now!

Btw the PikTv guide is, after more than three months, still not fixed!

Clint