cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet connectivity

SCC
Just Moved In

Why when i turn on my macbook air will it disconnect another users online game on a pc in the house?

4 REPLIES 4

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

How is the current network configured? What router, modems etc do you use. There is no reason the mac logging onto wifi should disconnect anyone's connection.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Has it been set to use a fixed IP address on your network? That might cause it to bump another user from their dynamically assigned IP address. Open the gateway's home page at 192.168.1.254 on the PC, and see what happens when you start the MacBook.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

SCo
Ambassador

@SCC wrote:

Why when i turn on my macbook air will it disconnect another users online game on a pc in the house?

Suggest that you reserve an IP address for the online game pc, so that DHCP will not assign that IP address to MacBook Air.  In my home set-up, I reserve IP address for each and every frequently used computer and devices, and I start by assigning a nice round number (e.g. 100) for Network Attached Storage (NAS) WD drive, followed by the main computer of the house, and so on....

For T3200M router, the IP reservation page can be found in the advanced set-up page.  You will need the MAC address of the PC to reserve IP address.  The MAC address can be found in the network adapter property page.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@SCC wrote:

@SCC  To clarify.... what download package speed are you subscribed to?  What online game are they playing?