Internet Service Availability Inquiry

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Fanatic01
Resident

Hello everyone.

Well I just spend a bit of time talking to a telus rep on the live chat and didn't really get any answers. I have been waiting for quite some time now for telus to upgrade their internet service in our area. We only receive 3mbps and we have been for well over 10 years and there is no word on when other options will be available according to the people we have talked to countless times.

Here's the thing though. A few days ago I found out that a friend of ours has the 15mbps service from telus and has had for quite some time. They only live 3 blocks away from us and it is just over 5 minutes to walk to their place. We live in in a reasonably sized city in Northwest B.C. but not large by any means. We are in the same neighborhood theoretically so I have no clue as to why they can receive the 15mbps service and the max that we can get is only 3mbps. Oh, have a longed for a day when we could receive better internet speeds but it would appear telus just doesn't want us to have it or something. I can find no information on when telus will upgrade hardware and I'm kind of sick of being stuck with what seems to be dialup in this day of age for 10+ years. Not trying to rant of anything but when people not 2 blocks away from you have the service, it kind of makes me wonder what is going on.... (I checked closer addresses)

Telus_Tech
Advocate

Hi Fanatic01

Sorry to hear about this. I understand it can be frustrating when your neighbor is capable of getting a higher speed, when it's not available for you.

There can many be factors when providing Internet Service to people. There is no one single reason why it's not available in your home.

But rest assured, Telus is constantly looking to improve and expand their footprint. It may not happen today or tomorrow, but when it will arrive, you will be able to enjoy it just like your neighbor does.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

For more info or to chat with one of our support reps please visit us at: www.telus.com/chat
If you like the comment, please click on the Kudos button.
nasty
Rockstar

If you have overhead lines and know where the Telus Central office or Dslam is(where all the DSL lines come too), figure out the path the DSL line take to your home, if you have a simple Telus trunk line. Google maps has a travel map to get the distance, by the path you want to go.

Reasons for a slower speed than your buddy.  Distance, as each speed has a maximum distance before Telus will drop you to a lower speed level. Bad phone lines for street or into home. A partially upgraded Central Office and you are on older hardware and have to wait.

Telus check availability tool. Not always accurate.

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/webapps/qual/index.do

Fanatic01
Resident

Thanks for responding guys.

We are farther away from the central office but not by much if you consider the radius of what seems to be the better coverage zone. Apart from dsl, we also have consider cable internet and a local company here called Citywest offers 50mbps internet through fibre optic lines I believe but it is very unstable and we have been with telus for years and years. I'm not sure how a smaller local company can have such speeds with their own established lines compared to a company like telus. We have all of our services bundled with telus but I think even the constant drop in speeds from citywest would be far superior. The money we would have to spend wouldn't be however.

nasty
Rockstar

@Fanatic01 wrote:
Apart from dsl, we also have consider cable internet and a local company here called Citywest offers 50mbps internet through fibre optic lines I believe but it is very unstable and we have been with telus for years and years. I'm not sure how a smaller local company can have such speeds with their own established lines compared to a company like telus. We have all of our services bundled with telus but I think even the constant drop in speeds from citywest would be far superior. The money we would have to spend wouldn't be however.

In the Terrace, Smithers area?

Telus needs to do some major upgrades to their equipment in that area to better tie into the backhaul to alleviate the bottleneck.

CityWest has had growing pains

http://www.citywest.ca/news/citywest-hooks-up-10000th-internet-customer

With its own fiber to Prince George, which then ties into a backhaul provider. As long as local hardware(Cablevision Copper lines?) is up to the challenge, speeds can be good. A good one to ask around for the all times of the day speed reliability

http://www.citywest.ca/news/citywest-solves-internet-blockage