cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet - Port Forwarding

Parrot
Advocate

I heard Port Forwarding is not supported by TELUS Cat Sad Can anybody help me how to do this on my Actiontec?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Berzelius
Connector

This should help

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/V1000H_-_Telus/

of course, you will need to access the Graphic Interface of the gateway.

to access it, open a web browser (IE, Chrome, or Safari - the UI bugs with Firefox) and go to http://192.168.1.254

the default username is : admin

the default password is : telus

you may be prompted to change the password , and to put in the serial number (located on the sticker under the gateway)

The instructions claim you need to be in a static IP configuration, but this is not the case, you can simply use the DHCP Reservation feature, to force the gateway to always allocate the same address to your computer (or gaming console)

Hope this helps !

Berzelius

Yves
Member of the Telus team
Assure FFH (Internet & IPTV Tech support)

View solution in original post

GreyWizard
Neighbour

Parrot,

Generally, port forwarding is done within your router and is to forward ports to specific computers in your local area network (LAN). However, the purpose for port forwarding it to direct external (internet) communications on specific ports to a specific LAN computer. If you understand this then the next comment becomes VERY important.

TELUS BLOCKS ALL INCOMING PORTS so there is no purpose in setting up port forwarding. ONLY by buying a static IP account on a Business Plan can you enable such basic functions as Windows Remote Desktop from a remote location or Windows Media Sharing or setting up a Minecraft server so your buddies can play together. If you want to do these you have to change ISP.

I'm in a similar situation.... I can't use my IP cameras and other IP accessories.  I think we need a new modem/router alternative if the Actiontec is a failure.

My pre-Optik Telus router worked great allowing me to open up those ports.

23 REPLIES 23

TelusTech
Neighbour

It was recently updated to prevent users digging around in port forwarding. It would help to know what your trying to do?

Berzelius
Connector

This should help

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/V1000H_-_Telus/

of course, you will need to access the Graphic Interface of the gateway.

to access it, open a web browser (IE, Chrome, or Safari - the UI bugs with Firefox) and go to http://192.168.1.254

the default username is : admin

the default password is : telus

you may be prompted to change the password , and to put in the serial number (located on the sticker under the gateway)

The instructions claim you need to be in a static IP configuration, but this is not the case, you can simply use the DHCP Reservation feature, to force the gateway to always allocate the same address to your computer (or gaming console)

Hope this helps !

Berzelius

Yves
Member of the Telus team
Assure FFH (Internet & IPTV Tech support)

GreyWizard
Neighbour

Parrot,

Generally, port forwarding is done within your router and is to forward ports to specific computers in your local area network (LAN). However, the purpose for port forwarding it to direct external (internet) communications on specific ports to a specific LAN computer. If you understand this then the next comment becomes VERY important.

TELUS BLOCKS ALL INCOMING PORTS so there is no purpose in setting up port forwarding. ONLY by buying a static IP account on a Business Plan can you enable such basic functions as Windows Remote Desktop from a remote location or Windows Media Sharing or setting up a Minecraft server so your buddies can play together. If you want to do these you have to change ISP.

do not need static IP, I need RDC. Saless person and technician who installed old me that everything should work without any limitation. I'm paying for internet access and not for limited internet functionality. There is nothing in the contract about such limitation, uless it is somewhere in the fine print... I'll definetly go back to shaw at the end of the contract... It looks like TELUS is dying and trying to squise everything prossible from everywere possible... People are cancelling landlines phones as there is no need in it when everyone in family has a cell phone pluss internet phones are much cheaper. Their TV is fazzy, teir cell phone plans overpriced and now this limitation of functionalities on internet...

Hello,

so is port forwarding supported afterall?

The Firewall settings and port forwarding configuration within Actiontec V1000H Wireless Gateway Modem is technically not supported by the TELUS Helpdesk.  The reason for that is because the firewall feature is an advanced component that is hard coded and programmed by the product vendor, Actiontec. Another reason that it us unsupported is that when you configure ports to open or forward through the firewall, you will need to know specific information that the particular application or game needs.  TELUS is not going to know this information, but it should be included with the documentation that came with that application or game.  If you are unaware of any such documentation, you may need to consult with the product vendor, their support website, a Computer Technician or someone you feel comfortable with computers to help you out.

I have been working working with my Actiontec V1000H Wireless Gateway Modem trying to port forward an HTTP server in a small data logger I recently purchased.  The idea is to be able to access the data logger and download data remotely when I am not here at home. 

Even the though the Actiontec firewall portforwarding interface seems to be working and apparently allowing ports to be forwarded, no ports seem to actually be getting forwarded based on software tools checking for open ports at the router's WAN IP address.  I've been trying many HTTP port numbers other than 80.

Many of the posts in this thread are older.  Does anyone know for sure today March 8, 2014 whether Telus is in fact blocking all port forwarding for residential customers? or am I just missing something obvious in the Actiontec settings?

Is port forwarding available with Telus at all today March 8, 2014?  If so how and who do I contact to make it happen?

If port forwarding is not available with Telus, which ISP should I change to that has it available?

Thank you for any suggestions. 

I'm in a similar situation.... I can't use my IP cameras and other IP accessories.  I think we need a new modem/router alternative if the Actiontec is a failure.

My pre-Optik Telus router worked great allowing me to open up those ports.

bgiudici
Just Moved In

Nice to know I'm not alone.

Is the issue the Actiontec modem/gateway or is Telus blocking port forwarding?  I would be good to have a clear answer.

Hi, 

As a long time TELUS internet user, I too have encountered these issues.  The issue is not so much is port forwarding being blocked, but the actual protocol you are trying to use is blocked. 

IE - port 80 - Webserver - Http protocol is blocked for incoming traffic for all residential clients. See this page for details: 

http://telus.com/portalWeb/portlets/popUp/popUp.jsp?docPath=CP_SCS/General/Internet/High_Speed/Gener...

Effective June 2004, TELUS implemented security measures on the High Speed Internet Access network called the HSIA Security Policy, which mainly consists of blocking certain network ports on the ADSL network in an effort to reduce the exploitation of customer PCs, and to reduce the levels of SPAM entering and leaving the ADSL network.

The purpose of the HSIA Security Policy is to protect the TELUS HSIA (ADSL) network from viruses.

NOTE: TELUS Port Blocking will only affect customers on Dynamic IP packages - customers on Static IP packages will still have access to all Ports.

Why has TELUS implemented the HSIA Security Policy?

The security policy has been implemented to protect the TELUS ADSL network from new type of viruses and worms that propagate themselves through unsecured/unpatched computers. A few examples of such worms are: Nachi, MSBlaster and Sasser. Any computer that has one of these viruses will immediately infect other computers on the network that do not have the proper security measures in place.

If you have Xbox live, and you need to unblock your ports for multiple Xboxs all TELUS modems/routers support port forwarding as the port/protocol Xbox uses is not blocked.

For remote access to your home pc, try using a VNC program.  TELUS does not block those ports, or protocol.

Hope that helps a bit 🙂

"The issue is not so much is port forwarding being blocked, but the actual protocol you are trying to use is blocked. "

No, TELUS does not block the HTTP protocol or any other protocol. What's being blocked is the standard or default port for those protocols. I run HTTP just fine on other non-standard ports. You just need to specify the non-standard port in your URL to access it.

This is incorrect, VNC is exactly what I'm trying to set up and I'm attempting to use VNC ports (5900s, as well as a zillion other random ones) and the router software says "this port is already in use" for anything I select.

I know what I'm doing here, I've set up port forwarding on several different routers in the US -- but they were always my routers, so the provider couldn't eff with me about any of it.

Let's be clear, TELUS BLOCKS PORT FORWARDING, at least on some routers and services.

"This is incorrect"

What exactly are you saying is incorrect? Many people have port forwarding working including Doug1Ames1 and myself.

"router software says "this port is already in use""
Do you have application configured on the router that may be using the ports you are trying? Do you have PnP devices that may have auto configured to use the ports that you are trying?

Yeah, on a new router I get "this port is already in use" for all port ranges too.

Model: V1000H, Firmware: 31.30L.57 

Annoying, but I just put an RT-N16 in DMZ. At least with DD-WRT the UI isn't slow, annoying, broken, and limited. 9_9

@s3graham wrote:

Yeah, on a new router I get "this port is already in use" for all port ranges too.

Model: V1000H, Firmware: 31.30L.57 

Annoying, but I just put an RT-N16 in DMZ. At least with DD-WRT the UI isn't slow, annoying, broken, and limited. 9_9

Your Actiontec is running an old version.  There has been problems with a few Actiontec not accepting new firmware versions automatically. Full bridge mode may be available on that version number provided you know how to Google for root. Then disable(delete update IP information, TR-069) auto updates to keep bridge

If you have Optik TV, Don't bridge the Telus gateway unless you know how to configure your router to handle IPTV traffic.

31.30L.55
31.30L.57

---Nov 2013-----

31.121L.11

---2014---

deleted 31.121L.12
31.121L.13

New Actiontec T1200H T2200H(bonded) have a port1 bridge, to allow for the users 3rd party router to access the WAN direct too avoid the Actiontec's routering. The V1000H V2000H(bonded) Zyxel are to be getting an update by end of summer 2014 for port1 bridge. Some bad person at Telus canceled updates to older Telus gateways, so call in and complain to hopefully get a T1200H. Or a T2200H when available.

I'm going to agree with seagoat.... I too have given up on port forwarding hardware/devices with Telus.

I am trying to see my CCTV from my cellphone or work computer, but have had no luck due to this port forwarding issue. Any advice?

@euromixdj wrote:

I am trying to see my CCTV from my cellphone or work computer, but have had no luck due to this port forwarding issue. Any advice?

Maybe the good news in this thread will happen at the end of summer, then if a internet-only customer, bridge can be ordered and use your own router. 

Wanting bridge mode:

http://forum.telus.com/t5/Ideas/Bridge-mode-for-Zyxel-gateways/idi-p/36412

Great news your Ideas team have accepted your idea and will be working on it. I'm told that they are looking to implement it by the end of the summer. Once I have an exact date I will let you know!

If you are going to use your own router, just put it in the DMZ of the Actiontec and you won't have to worry about setting up any specific port forwarding on the Actiontec.

I have a couple of IP cameras and a NAS on my LAN that have http interfaces on port 80 by default. Since almost all ISPs block port 80, I have external port forwarding set up for each of them using a custom port number. My router is in the DMZ of the Actiontec, so all port numbers flow through to it and everything works fine.

Not quite correct:

1. Actiontec V1000H does support port forwarding, its only hardcoded" or "programmed" by Actiontec specifically for Telus and ONLY because Telus wants charge extra for this "feature". 

2. Telus does not need to know what kind of ports I want to forward, its not their concerns, same as other ISPs do not care

what ports I forward.

I agree, router without port forwarding its pretty much useless since you cannot host anything home or check my security cam, or run remote desktop.... useless. My time with telus is over and I am switching back to shaw.