cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet 50 - why does it suck so badly??

DonF
Just Moved In

I signed up for Telus 50 in January.  I have yet to have any consistent performance anywhere near the advertised level.  this is resulting in using more cellular data - which only benefits TELUS.  Beyond cancelling and finding another provider, what recourse do I have????

6 REPLIES 6

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Using a hard wired connection what Speedtest results do you have? Do you notice slower speeds at a specific time of day?

Is your internet single line or a bonded service? Do you only have issues on wifi, or hard wired connection(s) affected as well. How many devices are using the connection? There can be many factors, so you’ll have to be more clear on the issue(s).

Sparrow751
Just Moved In

99.9 % is Gateway Modem Overheated issues. 
Unplug the power.
Let it cool down.  (With plastic bag,  put it in the fridge for a minute). Robot LOL

Overheated issue caused by Wireless Power output 100%  and Recording too many TV Programs. 
Telus Optik TV is iP TV and if you block telus.net  (DNS ), Your Telus Optik TV will stop working. 

Remember DO NOT RECORD many Programs.  This will cause overheat issue and will slow your router. And if you reach out Telus Customer service, they will ask you how many devices connected to your router and Wifi signals/location.
Peace out.

@Sparrow751 - Everything you posted is incorrect. There are many things that could affect connection quality and speed.

• I've never had anything overheat. 0.01% will be an overheating issue, if even that.
  • Tossing it in the fridge won't do anything productive.
  • I can record in 4K and HD at the same time, full wireless power on both frequencies and no problems at all with the gateway; heat or other.
  • Users can record as many programs as they like. It will not slow the router. Optik has separate bandwidth from the home internet bandwidth.

Just bought a 4k TV and was thinking of getting 50 and a 4k tv box from Telus. Is it really worth it? Just wondering anyone's thoughts that have it already. How much more per month is it?

Thanks

@Likarokwrote:

Just bought a 4k TV and was thinking of getting 50 and a 4k tv box from Telus. Is it really worth it? Just wondering anyone's thoughts that have it already. How much more per month is it?

Thanks

Capture.JPG

IF it's not your own modem, don't put it in the freezer, ask for a replacement.