Internet 250 download speed at around 20, upload at 16...help!!!

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector

Hi,

We got PureFibre 250 installed yesterday. The download Speedtest for our iPhones and iPads was around 250 when we tested them. My PS4 was around 115 (although I needed to connect via extender to get on 5ghz despite the extender being upstairs and the gateway being just down the hall).

However, my PC was capping out at 20 for downloading. I downloaded some mods for a game as well as a game update at it was no faster than Internet 25 that we had a couple days before. My PC cannot connect to a 5ghz band so I'm not expecting 250 speeds or anything like that, but 20 seems incredibly low. 

Can anyone help?

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Thoughts....

• what speed is your PC when connected to Ethernet?
  • are you 12 inches to the router when doing the speed test via wireless?  As you travel further away from the router.... speed will get worse with interference.
Highlighted
Connector
I cannot connect the PC to the Ethernet. They installed the modem in the furnace room about 15 feet away, so we don't have any devices that are wired. I really don't want to run an Ethernet cable down the hall where people could trip.

While I'm aware things can interfere with the wireless, I'm only 15 feet away and there is only 1 door blocking the path to my computer. Even with the 15 feet away and a door blocking it, I don't see how downloading a small mod for a game would take 5-10 minutes.

I have noticed zero improvement on speed with my PC so I'm really confused.

When I connect my iPad to the 2.4ghz band the speed test is pretty slow, down around 40-50. Is this normal or does everything need to be on a 5 ghz band to get speeds over 100