cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet 25?

Got off the phone with the Customer Representative, can Internet 25 support a 2.4GHz and 5GHz AC router? Because according to them it can't work... 

/)_-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@TheWorstWifiIHaveEverHad wrote:

The point was I would desire a 5GHz band for MY use and the 2.4GHz for anyone else so I can get uninterrupted use for when I want it,

To my knowledge, putting everyone else on 2.4GHz and you on 5GHz won't mean you get half the bandwidth. You are still going to have the bandwidth hogs hogging bandwidth - more of it will go through the 2.4GHz pipe, that's all.

If you want to manage the bandwidth consumed by various users, buy a quality modem, and manage users by MAC address or IP address as described by @WestCoasterBC

Your complaint is like blaming the water company for the fact that your teenagers use all the hot water every morning.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, but the gateway Telus supplies with that speed of service, the T1200M, only supports 2.4GHz. You can of course bridge the gateway and install any modem for your internal network you desire.

NFtoBC

The point was I would desire a 5GHz band for MY use and the 2.4GHz for anyone else so I can get uninterrupted use for when I want it, and as of now the bandwidth is right up the ally with "Worst internet I've ever used" . One person goes on Netflix or anything streaming related and i'm right up to 300Ping with packet loss, and I can't load anything on wifi. Speedtest is showing ping of 250, and Download of 1.5mb/s, where normal is 25mbits/s, and upload is gone to s*** as well. 

All in all, very disappointed with the use of Telus.

Bridge the modem/router Telus supplies to any router of your choice. You have far more control including bandwidth upload and download speeds to specific ip's etc. This has nothing to do with Telus, and everything to do with your networking setup.

5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance, and 2.4GHz offers coverage at greater distances, but may perform at slower speeds. You really need to restrict your bandwidth to the other devices if all they're doing is using all the bandwidth streaming in HD quality. Restrict them to under 2.5Mbps or less and whatever upload speed you want to give them.

@TheWorstWifiIHaveEverHad wrote:

The point was I would desire a 5GHz band for MY use and the 2.4GHz for anyone else so I can get uninterrupted use for when I want it,

To my knowledge, putting everyone else on 2.4GHz and you on 5GHz won't mean you get half the bandwidth. You are still going to have the bandwidth hogs hogging bandwidth - more of it will go through the 2.4GHz pipe, that's all.

If you want to manage the bandwidth consumed by various users, buy a quality modem, and manage users by MAC address or IP address as described by @WestCoasterBC

Your complaint is like blaming the water company for the fact that your teenagers use all the hot water every morning.

NFtoBC

And if that bandwidth hog is smart... they will Ethernet connect themselves to the router for enhanced performance.... but mess everything up for others.