cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet 15 and HD Streams

Allan_M
Neighbour

I moved recently and had my services transfered from my old house to the new one (about 5 blocks). Because of the new location I had to be downgraded to Internet 15 from 25. Needless to say, it is  very frustrating but what can I do, I signed a 2-yr contract. Anyways, since moving I only have 2 HD Streams. Is this normal for Internet 15 because there is nowhere on Telus's website that says how many I should have, not that I saw anyways. 

If I new that I would get stuck with internet 15 I would've got Shaw to begin with. Now I'm stuck with slower internet and all Telus said was sorry, you can have $5 off unlimited data.

12 REPLIES 12

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Not exactly, but effectively yes. The overall capacity of the service to your new home is such that the combination of 2 HD streams and 15Mbps internet is all that can be carried over the copper lines to your gateway. If infrastructure is updated in your neighbourhood, then a greater number of streams and faster internet services will be made available to you.

If I recall, 720p resolution needs about 8Mbps, full HD up to 18Mbps per stream. These speeds need to be in excess of your internet speed of 15Mbps.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I could have sworn HD streams were way less than that. Netflix's HD streams are 5mbps, YouTube 1080p is up to 8mbps (60fps?) and I was fairly sure Optik was similar to Netflix. I have 5HD/0SD on 25mbps dedicated for Optik. 4K could easily be 18mbps.

Depending on the speed OPs modem is able to connect at, I wonder if he may qualify for a bonded connection.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Oops! My numbers were drawn from BluRay bit rates. Compression for streaming should reduce it closer to the numbers @Nighthawk presents.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

RonAKA
Rockstar

Copper only does not necessarily limit you to 15 Internet and 2 HD. As if your home has two sets of lines coming into it. If so they could potentially install a bonded model that would give you more speed. I get 50 Internet and 4 HD TV with two lines feeding a bonded modem. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That will all depend if the connection speed on each of the pairs is high enough to offer 25mbps on each.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Or Telus is just trying to avoid the cost of installing a bonded modem just to provide 25 Mbps. It will require them to send a tech to the house to do it. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

That won't be the issue. Two core issues will be if there are enough available ports, and if the line he is on can support 25mbps. They won't offer bonded if either of those conditions is not met. Telus sends out techs for all sorts of things. If they can do bonded they'll send one out.

I guess my point is that if the OP got 25 Mbps from only 5 blocks away, the length of copper is unlikely to be the issue. The wire centre is likely the same one. The issue is more likely whether or not there are two lines going into the home, and whether or not the wire centre has bonded router capability. The wire center has to split the data stream and send it down two copper lines and then bond it back together again at the home. It could be that Telus has a policy that they will not use two lines and bonded modem capability to supply 15 Mbps. I'm just guessing at that based on some knowledge of the technology involved. Telus is not very honest in dealing with the end user. I was told a number of times that I had fiber optic service to my house by Telus reps, and there is no such thing. It is all copper all the way to the wire centre. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

VDSL2 connections have an effective range of about +/-1.5km. The highest speeds are only available for about the first third of that approximately, and then it drops off like a bell curve. The shorter the distance, the better. Not everything runs direct from the central office / wire center to the end user, and as a result depending on how the other intermediate nodes are connected to the CO (copper, fiber), the speeds again will vary. 

Even opposite sides of the street can have a huge difference depending on where the connection is fed from, and that includes different central offices. Without more information from OP, it will be very difficult to say for sure. 5 blocks can be a considerable distance if over copper and still connecting to the same source. The distance between blocks also varies by city as well. Some have longer distances between them. For example: 5 blocks in Edmonton averages about 500m in some areas. 5 blocks in Kitsilano (E<>W) is 700m but N<>S can be 500m. Also, the telecom lines don't go out in a radius. The lines will usually follow roadways and that 5 blocks can easily have a longer distance between them.

The shortest possible distance for the copper that feeds my house is 1.93 km. I got 25 Mbps on a single line of copper. They had to go to two lines and a bonded router to get 50 Mbps and 4 HD channels.

rc
Rockstar

Keeping checking back with TELUS and see if they can upgrade your service.    Someone may cancel service and you may be able to switch to a bonded service.  Also, TELUS upgrades equipment where they see increased demands for service, ask the service representative is they can find out if there is any scheduled upgrades for your service area.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@RonAKA  Are you basing the distance on the distance it takes to drive between your house or the actual route the line takes, which can be very different? You've also likely got one of these boxes between the central office and your place which is allowing you to get 25mbps bonded to 50 still.

@rc Bonded still won't be available if the connection speed on the existing line is too low. Technical support / Sales will have zero information, or access to it, about when major infrastructure upgrades are taking place. The demands for service as you put it, has to be extremely high to get more rapid attention. Like an entire community or town requesting it all at once. Telus seems to be focusing all of their efforts on their major fiber roll out currently so there's a very good chance that'll arrive before upgraded copper connections.