cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent internet connection dropping

ElCarrot
Just Moved In

This is an issue I've been encountering for at least two months, but I haven't had the time to really look into it until now.  What is happening is that my internet connection will drop for about 5 seconds at random intervals.  Sometimes it happens multiple times in an hour, and sometimes it only happens once in several hours.

I tested if it was an issue on my side by setting up a continuous ping to my router, my telus fiber box, and a telus DNS server (75.153.176.1).  When the disconnect happened, the ping to my router and fiber box continued with no issues, but the ping to the DNS server showed "Destination host unreachable. Request timed out."

So this is an issue on the telus side, not on my equipment side.  Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
I have seen occasional dropping of Wi-Fi to some devices, but clearly a different issue than you describe.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

When it happens - everything drops - all wifi connected devices, all hardwired devices.

Any luck on this?  I have the same issue.

I just switched from Shaw to Telus on Saturday. 
Very disappointed in internet as I expected fibre optic to be much better and faster. 
Is increased use due to the current quarantine situation a possible reason.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Slower speeds may well be due to Stay at Home. Netflix has reduced the quality of their streaming service to reduce internet traffic.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I have the same issue.  It happens maybe only once a month.

When it happens - everything drops - all wifi connected devices, all hardwired devices.

My TELUS Smart Wi-Fi hub is in bridge mode and the light is showing green like there is no problem...

I have to disconnect the power for 1 minute and connect back in.

I takes maybe 5-10 for everything to come back up...

nvv6
Organizer

I would try using a different DNS server to see if it’s more reliable. 1.1.1.2, quad9, or Google DNS are worth trying. (I personally find the cloudflare 1.1.1.2 to be the fastest but you could find different results depending on where you are)

Bill7
Just Moved In

Has anyone found a resolution to this issue?  We have been Telus customers for over 20 years and only very rarely had problems.  A+ overall.  That changed 10 days ago when we got a call from Telus saying that we may experience some outages.  Since then we have gone through many periods of intermittency.  It seems when we need it the most (2 university students trying to attend classes from home), it won't work.  I have reset the modem and made multiple calls to Telus support.  They have done their best, but have not fixed the problem.  A technician came by today and he replaced the modem and some cabling, but within a few hours the intermittency returned.  I've noticed that when we are experiencing the intermittency the ping times are typically very high.