I want to more Lan Ports working

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

Hi, 

I have 6 ethernet jacks in my house that they are already wired. Now I want to connect one ethernet to my desktop. I found my white alcatel lucent fiber

optics modem that has only one Lan 1 port working properly. The green LED light indicates blinking. But Lan 2 port, Lan 3 port and Lan 4 port don't have

any LED lights on and blinking. So that is meant only one room got ethernet connection. 

How can I make Lan 2, Lan 3 and Lan 4 working? Or at least I need a couple of rooms to get ethernet connection. 

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only one LAN port on the fiber box will be active because you only have one fiber connected. You can easily buy an ethernet switch and install it. I have 3.

Fiber box > Router/Gateway > Network Switch

Example: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/Switches

mynetwork.jpg

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only one LAN port on the fiber box will be active because you only have one fiber connected. You can easily buy an ethernet switch and install it. I have 3.

Fiber box > Router/Gateway > Network Switch

Example: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/Switches

mynetwork.jpg

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk

I added a small bit to your elegant drawing for clarity.

original.png

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Actually that is the Actiontec not the ONT. That many switches on the ONT would mean far too many external IPs would be in use. 🙂

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk
The red line was meant to represent an Ethernet cable between the ONT, and the gateway, not a pointer! 😀

original.jpeg

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Connector

I know this is an old post but as a business customer paying for 5 static IPs with my service, it would be nice to have all ports enabled. These ONTs have perfectly good gigabit switches inside and there is no reason for them to be blocked.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

You'll have to ask your business rep. This forum is for residential services where only one ONT port will be active. If your business has different needs, contact Telus.

Highlighted
Connector
I'm a residential and business customer. Currently, it's the same policy for everyone. Still can't get a good reason from business or residential customer service as to why they do this.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

It may have to deal with the number of fibre strands going to an address but I'm not sure. That you can ask your business rep. Ever consider putting a gigabit switch on the ONT and then pulling your 5 business static IPs that way?

For the longest time, the residential side has had more restrictions than the busineses side.

Highlighted
Connector
The ONT can only accept a single fiber so it's not a question about fibre strand count and it was clearly designed with with a 4 port switch for this purpose. Yes, currently I have a switch after the ONT to supply extra ports which isn't really a problem, just could be more efficient if it was a handled in one unit.

Unfortunately the bussiness reps are just as uninformed as the residential ones which is why I'm here. I guess there just isn't enough demand for this to be changed.
Highlighted
Advisor

I'm sure it was a decision by the CORE network folks to just lock down those additional ports.  That kind of decision doesn't really trickle down to the support staff, they just tell them only the first port works and the others don't.

Highlighted
Advocate

I assume if you ordered a 2nd internet connection it would be activated on the 2nd port, etc.

Highlighted
Resident

Just a 1Gige switch between the alcatel fiber modem and your router. The DHCP server will provide the new IP based on the subnet you've been assigned.