cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an issue with the new T3200M Modem with my VOIP device

carlosfranco
Friendly Neighbour

My VOIP device used to work in the old Telus router. Now I did change it to the new T3200M.

I did spend some time with the telus tech and they told me somehow one of the solutions we can do is port forward but seems is not supported anymore in the new Modems T3200M.

Any other ideas how to be able to get back my VOIP device to work with these new Telus modem?

Any other people having issues with Telus using VOIP devices with the new modems?

Thx

Carlos

10 REPLIES 10

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

My ATA (Cisco SPA 112) works perfectly with my T3200M. What VoIP device are you using?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

carlosfranco
Friendly Neighbour

It is a granstream HT502. Used to work perfectly before with the old modem.

When I try my sip account from my cel phone works fine (using another wifi from work or cel line) but If I try the same at home does not work.

Somehow the modem is blocking the registration process in the voip company using the HT502 or any VOIP software from my phone

Do you have any special set up for port fwd or DMZ for the ATA in the T3200M modem ?

Thx

carlosfranco
Friendly Neighbour

It is a granstream HT502. Used to work perfectly before with the old modem.

When I try my sip account from my cel phone works fine (using another wifi from work or cel line) but If I try the same at home does not work.

Somehow the modem is blocking the registration process in the voip company using the HT502 or any VOIP software from my phone

Do you have any special set up for port fwd or DMZ for the ATA in the T3200M modem ?

Thx

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@carlosfranco wrote:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the above, but guessing you have problems connecting from your phone application directly to the ATA when on your home network. A number of folks have found the T3200M does not work well transferring packets from Wi-Fi connected devices to other devices on the network. Some have suggested disabling SmartSteering in the router's Wireless settings; others to put their network on a secondary router, leaving only Optik TV on the T3200M; and yet others have found success by adding the Telus Boost Wi-Fi mesh access points, thus solveing the issue. 

@carlosfranco wrote:

No, it just sits on a DHCP assigned IP address

NFtoBC

carlosfranco
Friendly Neighbour

Sorry.

What I meant was that is if I test the ATA in another location (friend house) then is working. But when I connect the ATA to the new router just does not work. The example from my phone was just trying to use a voip app. If I use the voip app outside my house (friend house) then is fine. If I use the voip app in my home wifi using the new Telus Modem then does not work.,

Then the issue is with the ATA or any app voip from PC or cel phone when at home using the new T3200M modem. Before used to work. Then I have no clue what is blocking the back and fwd from my VOIP company using the new modem. I did try DMZ the device, port fwd but just does not connect.

Telus rep said was because they blocked all the ports in the new Telus Modem last firmware but I am not sure that is the reason and they just goit bored with me and didnt help me more. Now I have o VOIP !!! sad.

Thx

Carlos

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@carlosfranco wrote:

Then the issue is with the ATA or any app voip from PC or cel phone when at home using the new T3200M modem. Before used to work. Then I have no clue what is blocking the back and fwd from my VOIP company using the new modem. I did try DMZ the device, port fwd but just does not connect.

When you set up the ATA, can you use it to call out to a number using a telephone device directly connected to it? Can a cellular or landline caller reach you through the device? If so the ATA is properly connected. If you are trying to make a SIP call local to your network, you are likely running into the difficulty I presented earlier. Do you have an alternate router to interconnect your internal network?

NFtoBC

carlosfranco
Friendly Neighbour

When you set up the ATA, can you use it to call out to a number using a telephone device directly connected to it?

No. The device is not registering then I can call anyone with the phone connected to the ATA.

Can a cellular or landline caller reach you through the device?

No.

If so the ATA is properly connected. If you are trying to make a SIP call local to your network, you are likely running into the difficulty I presented earlier.

Do you have an alternate router to interconnect your internal network?

What do you mean? I have another router but that router it is just acting as a bridge connected into the Telus router. What is your idea here? Activate the other router as a full DHCP and connect the ATA there? 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If the device is not registering, I don’t believe using the secondary router will make a difference.

At this point, all I can offer is that my SPA 112 works with just the default settings, dial settings and my proxy and VoIP service login and password.

NFtoBC

carlosfranco
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks.

Do you know if port fwd works in the last firmware version of that modem? 

Only thing I can do now is play with that port fwd and see or buy one of those cisco ATA you have an try.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@carlosfranco wrote:

Do you know if port fwd works in the last firmware version of that modem? 

On that topic I have no knowledge.

NFtoBC