cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I assume bad Telus wi-fi signal

Pam-MB
Coach

At first I thought it was the sites,but then I noticed the wi-fi signal is all over the place.

When on one bar the pages freeze on the screen until it goes back up to 2 or 3 bars.

This problem started when Telus put in the new modem saying it was faster than the old model,but so far slower which I assume at this point to be the Telus wi-fi signal.

10 REPLIES 10

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Wi-Fi can be variable, and if it drops to one bar, then little or no data is being transferred, and pages will freeze. Can you describe the location of the router, your computer or other device and a little bit about the structure of your house, as all can affect wi-if signal.  If you have a larger home, the addition of an access point may improve signal strength.

It is always better to connect to the router by an Ethernet cable if possible.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

The computers are only about 10 feet away from the Telus router.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then, keep notes for a week or so on the frequency of problems, so you can competently discuss the issue with a tech, with the possibility or resetting or replacing the modem.  You should not be seeing that variability at that range.

NFtoBC

K-D

Hey Pam!
is it only over Wi-Fi that it's misbehaving? or while wired as well? Additionally, what modem do you currently have?

It is the new Telus modem that is replacing the older model Telus modem.

At this point the old modem worked better that this new one.

All computers are on wi-fi.

Will plug one in over the weekend to see what happens.

Is it a large, square, black modem? It would definitely help to see if the wired connection is functioning!

Yes,the new large black modem.

I now have the computer plugged directly in to modem,wi-fi turned off.

Wow,what a difference in loading speed.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Wired is ALWAYS going to be better, as there are no interruptions or interference to the signal, as can happen with Wi-Fi.  Just about every device I can attach by Ethernet is so attached to my network.

The modem identification name is on a sticker near the rear of the modem. The newest model is T3200M.  Is this your model?

NFtoBC

Yes,the T3200M

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Pam-MB

Now that you know you've good connection speeds when hardwired, there area few more considerations. Firstly, can you connect most of your devices by Ethernet, as it it the better option. Wi-Fi can get overloaded by local devices, and neighbouring Wi-Fi signals or other interference, such as microwave ovens.

Have a look at the number of other Wi-Fi signals surrounding you to get some idea of the potential for interference.  Mine looks something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 8.14.07 AM.png 

NFtoBC