I asked this before too, Important!! ;)

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Ambassador

when will optik tv get a big software upgrade, now, i see Shaw is have a three day maintenance too, when will telus ever get maintenance?

and i see Shaw is putting there internet prices up on a average rate because their saying the internet will triple by 2018 (three years from now), i wonder was kind of speed Shaw will have especially but telus too. When will fibre optic line going to the big green cabets be right straight to inside the house? when can i get hook up to fiber optics, telus said to phone in one a month for a while too! i the v1000 i think, they installed it in our house as the old dlink with separate modem was two boxes and it wasn't working good, i was wondering i have a linksys EA6400 hook up the router from telus, is that ok, will it interfere with telus services ? and should i have both routers on a surge bar, last year we had three power outage in a month and this month we had two, one including equipment failure on BC hydro end and one of our boxes and cloths washer to unplug and plug back in. thanks!!! πŸ˜ƒ

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Rockstar

Current modern Set-top boxes: PVR ISB7150 , Wireless/Ethernet ISB7105

They are capable of 4HD streams(local Dslam/line conditions apply), provided you have the new Telus gateways of T1200H or T2200H(bonded line).

The new gateways have 'port1' bridge, for using your personal router, and avoids the routing of the Telus gateway.

For fibre to the home, when you see a crew trenching in some big orange conduits off a roll along all the local streets, then you know it's coming.  If you don't have Optik TV, you can use your personal router to be the router on fibre, by plugging it into the ONT.

UPS(interruptible power supply). 650va as a minimum to give you 5-15 minutes backup depending on whats using power.  Comes with surge suppressed outlets.

Telus now has Internet-100 on copper. Use the T2200H. Line conditions apply.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Rockstar

Current modern Set-top boxes: PVR ISB7150 , Wireless/Ethernet ISB7105

They are capable of 4HD streams(local Dslam/line conditions apply), provided you have the new Telus gateways of T1200H or T2200H(bonded line).

The new gateways have 'port1' bridge, for using your personal router, and avoids the routing of the Telus gateway.

For fibre to the home, when you see a crew trenching in some big orange conduits off a roll along all the local streets, then you know it's coming.  If you don't have Optik TV, you can use your personal router to be the router on fibre, by plugging it into the ONT.

UPS(interruptible power supply). 650va as a minimum to give you 5-15 minutes backup depending on whats using power.  Comes with surge suppressed outlets.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the info!

Highlighted
Ambassador

you can use your personal router to be the router on fibre, by plugging it into the ONT.

I would would like fibre right into my house, what ONT?

UPS(interruptible power supply). 650va as a minimum to give you 5-15 minutes backup depending on whats using power. Comes with surge suppressed outlets.

Here one that can go on 700watts for 55mins or so for $300

I see on the website now, we have the 25mbps, i see shaw only goes up to 50 right now, so this is on copper (thats what am on right now) but i have the Actiontec V1000H with 4HD feeds with 4HD boxes, so could i get it? whats the line conditions about?

Highlighted
Rockstar

Those 'pure-sinewave' UPS are expensive(that you linked too, and your link also shows 5 Minute runtime at full use). Sinewave means a power source representing what would come from your power company.
'Simulated sine-wave'(power-filter) for 1/2 the price(buy 2 and split the load). The online sites will also sell batterys for them. About 3-5 years of usable life in the battery. Don't overload the UPS and damage it or replacing the battery is wasted.
http://www.frontierpc.com/power-equipment/ups-systems/line-interactive-ups/apc/back-ups-rs/700-va-to...

700VA is basic(plus wattage for what amount of energy you will be pulling from it on a regular basis), with 5-15 minutes runtime with you placing computers/modems/routers into standby mode, or off, at power failure. When your connected electronics are in standby, 700VA can keep them alive for 30-45 minutes on a full charge. I don't use 'APC PowerChute' shutdown software provided(questionable things it does, in the past).  Some brands of UPS, the power alarm can't be shutoff without the software, but a soldering iron or hard twist fixes that. Very good for when the power glitches on and off. 1500VA(I've done 1 hour runtime for modem, router, computer, LCD monitor) is for multiple accessories plugged in and longer run time.

--Don't ever plug a laser printer into a UPS. They take a large load of wattage and can damage the UPS.

ONT: Optical Network Terminal. It is the fibre modem.

The new Actiontec T1200H and T2200H have better performance to handle the 4HD streams. Late next year, Telus is contemplating 5HD Feeds.

Internet-100 on copper. If your one line(pair) coming into your home can do 55-60Mbps as a minimum, another pair can be setup and can give Internet-100.

Telus check ability for service. Enter a phone number or address to see whats available. Or phone in.
http://www.telus.com/en/bc/webapps/qual/index.do

Highlighted
Ambassador

Can Surrey, BC get fiber in the house soon?

ONT: Optical Network Terminal. It is the fiber modem.

What places have have ONT?

Will the 5 feed work with those router modems and are they the same brand? i like DSL(modem **bleep**) will they bring out new ones with AC( dual band in them)

Would the link i gave you work in my garage for two tropical fish tank that need lights, filters and heat, so 3 times 2 is 6 plugs. 

Ambassador

http://www.actiontec.com/212.html#.UNIqMpPjmRA is for fiber line, but it connects though rj 45 cable from the wall

Highlighted
Rockstar

A back up power for a fish tank, at minimum, you'd want to keep the filtration system running. I do not know the power consumption with filter, fluorescent light, heat. There are systems out there with a sealed cell 12V battery(automotive type, deep cycle). The solar power shops would have a selection that come with chargers to keep the battery charged up. Daisy chain them and many hours backup, with option of automatic power switchover.

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/power-cuts-in-a-tropical-fish-aquarium

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/293354-good-battery-backup-ups-for-aquarium-use/

The Actiontec T1200H, T2200H, for fibre to the home, it uses the ethernet WAN port(not using its built in DSL modem). 

Still no one confirming if the new Actiontecs have the 5Ghz chip in them. Telus may have gotten the pre-5Ghz models or are a firmware update away.  Anyone on Internet-50 Internet-100 can get a free install of the Actiontec 5Ghz access point. All others pay between $0(loyalty perks) -$100.

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/wi-fi-plus.jsp

You can bridge a 5Ghz customer router. Bridge means that you are not doing double NAT(network address translation) which can affect some internet communications.  there are those that just plug their own router in as stock settings and no major problems. IGMP filtering of multicast for Optik TV is something to be adjusted.

Highlighted
Connector

Actiontec dosent have 5Ghz chipset, the extender does

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

While pure sinewave cost more.... electronics don't hum compared to the cheap square wave alternatives.

Surge suppressed powerbars are a great idea.  After a few years, the surge suppression does wear out.

Personally I got rid of my UPS several years ago...

• UPS batteries do wear out over time
  • I don't have an aquarium
  • My laptops have their own batteries.  Hooking up a UPS to a laptop runs at a higher wattage.
  • If your modem/router is UPSed... Is the Telus equipment outside your home UPSed?
  • power outages are rarer and rarer in my neighborhood in recent years
  • if an outage lasts more than a few hours, I've driving to a restaurant for food and staying at hotel for extended hours.
  • I have lot of Eneloop rechargeables ready for a outage
  • I have one of those Canadian Tire booster packs with 120v outlets for basic needs.
  • I have a Blackberry if I need to call anyone or use the internet.
Highlighted
Ambassador

If your modem/router is UPSed... Is the Telus equipment outside your home UPSed?

What does this mean?

so what the best option for a 55 and a 40 gallon fish tank?

So we will get 5 feeds soo or what?

i check for my house if i can get 100mbps on copper but cant even, when can i and when can i hook up to fibre optics? so by mid 2015?

Highlighted
Ambassador

If your modem/router is UPSed... Is the Telus equipment outside your home UPSed?

What does this mean?

When will the 5 feed be working? shaw haqs 6 right now, so telus is behide!!

What's the typical speed for 4k streaming? will telus ever have the speed to needed to watch in 4k or 8k ever?

Highlighted
Ambassador