cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am trying to save money on my hydro bill

Kaosports
Just Moved In

I am trying to save money on my hydro bill

Would it do any harm to unplug my PVR and modem while not in use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unplugging your PVR will cause it to need to reboot each re-start, consuming about 5 minutes each time. You may also miss recording some shows.

Unplugging your modem means updates to both the router or other devices will not happen overnight, anything needing an internet connection will not work, and your Internet provider may spend effort trying to determine the cause of non-responsive equipment.

A router consumes less than 36 watts or about 3/4 kWh per day. In most of Canada, this equates to about 10 cents of electricity.

Reducing your home’s temperature whenever possible, avoiding clothes dryer use, and adding a heat recovery sewer pipe to the outlet from your shower, in addition to @WestCoasterBC suggestions, will gain far more in energy savings.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
The savings over the year are minimal. I wouldn’t bother unplugging it. If you truly want to save money. Purchase led light bulbs, and turn down your electric hot water tank 5-10 degrees. If you own one.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Unplugging your PVR will cause it to need to reboot each re-start, consuming about 5 minutes each time. You may also miss recording some shows.

Unplugging your modem means updates to both the router or other devices will not happen overnight, anything needing an internet connection will not work, and your Internet provider may spend effort trying to determine the cause of non-responsive equipment.

A router consumes less than 36 watts or about 3/4 kWh per day. In most of Canada, this equates to about 10 cents of electricity.

Reducing your home’s temperature whenever possible, avoiding clothes dryer use, and adding a heat recovery sewer pipe to the outlet from your shower, in addition to @WestCoasterBC suggestions, will gain far more in energy savings.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"