cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use my own wifi router WITHOUT using bridge mode?

Cc2127
Neighbour

Since I'm using an old V1000H that is not working very well, how can I use my own router? The V1000H is too old that is doesn't even have bridge mode, or can I get an advanced one as replacement? I'm using 50M so it's supposed to be free right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The V1000 is a gateway, not simply a modem, so you can't simply swap it out. Ask Telus for a replacement if it is constantly giving problems. They will likely send a tech to check for line issues at the same time. 

I have always ways found it useful to keep a record of dates and times of troubles to discuss with the tech. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The V1000 is a gateway, not simply a modem, so you can't simply swap it out. Ask Telus for a replacement if it is constantly giving problems. They will likely send a tech to check for line issues at the same time. 

I have always ways found it useful to keep a record of dates and times of troubles to discuss with the tech. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

Thank you so much for your help, but I still wanna use my own router since it's a more advanced one, can I do that?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I just plugged my own router into port 1 on the V1000 and it worked fine. My router seemed smart enough to configure without double NAT occuring and I had no problems. (DIR-816L)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks. Did you do any setting on your own router? So just plug it in and turn it on?

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You will need a T1200 for single line service or a T2200 for a bonded service to get the "Bridge" mode. You would have to call Telus to get it swapped. Keep in mind you can be charge a service call fee. But not always the case. I had mine swapped out for bad wifi signal less then 50feet away and the range booster always dropped it's connection.

My own router works flawlessly.

The new D-links are a very dumb downed router with the new GUI and barely gives you any feature unlike the older versions of dlink routers. I bought and returned it as soon as i logged into it. Was to simple for advanced user and stripped away any hard core setting a power user would want.