cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to max out wi-fi transfer speeds - Time Capsule and a T3200m

davstr
Just Moved In

I'm currently receiving wired up/down speeds of 750 Mbps with my Telus fibre account. I use a Time Machine to back up my system in Bridge Mode on the Telus 3200m modem as set up by my service installer. 

My wireless speeds up/down range from 150 - 300 Mbps when the laptops are placed beside the Time Machine. 

Are there optimum settings I should apply to the 3200m to achieve the 750 Mbps up/down wirelessly?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your Time Capsule is on your local network, and has absolutely no relation to your ISP promised download speed. Look to the speeds your network can manage. The Time Capsule will be connected to a network that can manage on average in real world conditions about 200 Mbps, so your speeds are about what would be expected.

If you are using the Wi-Fi on the Time Capsule, 

My wireless speeds up/down range from 150 - 300 Mbps when the laptops are placed beside the Time Machine. 

Then it is the slow point. If it is hardwired to your network, then the Wi-Fi speed of the T3200M would be the bottleneck, and will offer different speeds depending on if your laptops can connect at 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz or both simultaneously.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

xray
Hero
What are the capabilities of your laptop WiFi adapters? You need laptops that support the speed you are seeking.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your Time Capsule is on your local network, and has absolutely no relation to your ISP promised download speed. Look to the speeds your network can manage. The Time Capsule will be connected to a network that can manage on average in real world conditions about 200 Mbps, so your speeds are about what would be expected.

If you are using the Wi-Fi on the Time Capsule, 

Then it is the slow point. If it is hardwired to your network, then the Wi-Fi speed of the T3200M would be the bottleneck, and will offer different speeds depending on if your laptops can connect at 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz or both simultaneously.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"