cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to combine SSIDs with T3200 and WEBQ6000

Naiar
Coach

I have the router and the extender and I want to combine the SSIDs so I don't have 4 different network names in my house. I get around 75-90mbps of my 150 because the signal from one isn't strong when I get farther away. I assume there is some way for me to fix this by not having my devices connected to different networks, and instead, connect to the "main" one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Thoughts....

• when I got my T3200m.... I was told to put away the WEBQW6000.  The T3200m has greater range than the previous modem.
  • the T3200m has a "band steering" feature.  You won't need to have multiple SSID's.
  • instead of the WEBQ6000.... you might want to research a mesh solution like Google Wifi for a large home.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NerdyCameleon
Neighbour

I can definitely help you by setting up that configuration, however, take into consideration the following:

You will be facing issues with your computers and wireless devices getting disconnected and reconnected to the wireless network all of the time and surfing the web will become very unstable, as the wireless devices aren't always able to differentiate the two networks. This will result in you randomly getting logged out from pages, streaming videos getting interrupted and VoIP calls like Skype getting interrupted. So if you decide to stay with the extender solution, you should make sure to use separate network names (SSIDs).

If you keep it into 2 different SSIDs and just remember the 2 network on all of the devices it is possible that the wireless device may stay connected to the main router unless moving entirely out of its coverage area. In an ideal situation, each individual wireless device would connect automatically to the strongest signal, and to accomplish this, advanced setup may be needed for each individual device.

My recommendation is to keep 2 different SSIDs in order to have a more stable WIFI connection.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Thoughts....

• when I got my T3200m.... I was told to put away the WEBQW6000.  The T3200m has greater range than the previous modem.
  • the T3200m has a "band steering" feature.  You won't need to have multiple SSID's.
  • instead of the WEBQ6000.... you might want to research a mesh solution like Google Wifi for a large home.

View solution in original post

Since the T3200 is installed in the basement and the signal isn't strong enough to come to my second floor, I have to use the Telus extender. So, unless I shell out more money and get a mesh network, I'm stuck with half of my advertised speed?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Wi-Fi based repeaters can be worse, as they have to receive and retransmit each packet, slowing the process by 50% or more with each hop.

Remember, the main reason for greater delivery speeds is to provide reasonable speeds to multiple devices on a network, not to provide great speed to a single device. Most servers simply can’t deliver the data to you at anywhere near 150 Mbps.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"