How to change YouTube settings for Xbox One

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Upgraded internet plan so it's higher than our last 6 months.  Our first month and we're over. Didn't make sense because our habits haven't changed.  Help article says it's probably because YouTube defaults to higher speed.   Got instructions on how to change for mobile and pc but can't find anything for changing on Xbox One.  Does anyone know how to adjust the settings from auto to standard?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
I can't see that being the issue. As long as you had at least 3.5mbps before, the Xbox should play content in HD by default. See Xbox support page. For the Xbox to be the cause of the overage you would have to be watching non stop YouTube on it at 1080p for many many hours per day.

Since the speed increase, has anything else changed in terms of usage by anyone in the house? Anyone torrenting? Skype/Video chat? Download GTA 5 or any other large games? Do you have a 4K smart TV that may be streaming content in 4k now that the speed is high enough? (That includes netflix)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Neighbour

As mentioned it was the Telus help article that said culprit was most likely YouTube. I don't want it to play in HD.  

Only thing that has changed is we're using it less.  Same thing happened this month only it was maxed after just 10 days.  

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I highly doubt this is YouTube. Especially burning through data in 10 days.. Change your WIFI password for starters, i am sure you have Netflix change the Quality settings for that too..

Monitor your DAILY usage via the online account manager and you can see when and where this data is being used on X days..

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.