How to assign a static IP to a device?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

TheTechnologyGuy25
Neighbour

HI all,

On my mac I have too add my printer via IP, however its ip obviously being dynamic always changes.

Where in the router settings or other place can I assign my printer to stay the same IP so I don't constantly have to change it on my mac?

Thanks!

Community Power User
Community Power User

What printer, and what router are you using?

I have no problem with dynamically assigned IP on my network printer, the MacBook finds it.

Can you enter the printer management software and set a static IP address below the DHCP assigned pool (usually at 192.168.1.100) ?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
TheTechnologyGuy25
Neighbour

Just the basic Telus Advanced Wifi router, the one they include with pure-fibre.

HP-5530 is the printer, and I have no idea what the management software is the mac does that auto I believe.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Quick search online yielded instructions from HP forums for a similar issue printing from macOS:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer (which can found by pressing the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel)
  • Enter the IP address on the web browser (Ex: chrome, IE) to enter the printer EWS page.
  • Go to the “Network” tab, click on “Wireless (802.11) then click on “Network address (IPV4)
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
  • Click on the radio button which says “Manual DNS server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy