How to access router from browser?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Resident

I want to access my router at 192.168.1.254, but typing this into any browser (I've tried Chrome and IE so far) ends up with the page timing out. How can I access my router settings?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Make sure this is the right number for your router. It is usually printed on the bottom. Sometimes the router software is slow, but it should not time out.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Resident

It's definitely the correct number, I just double checked. Still timing out though.

EDIT: Correct answer came via a friend of mine. Used command prompt (run>cmd) with the command ipconfig /all to find my gateway number. Came up as ending in .202 as it turns out, not what was printed on my router. Thanks for the help anyways NFtoBC! Just wanted to post the answer here in case others have the same issue.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Thanks for posting back @SpecialK139 !  

You may wish to either make a note on your router indicating the IP address has been changed, reset the IP address back to .254, or reset the gateway and start from fresh to prevent future confusion, as the IP address was clearly changed somewhere along the way.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Some administrators will purposely change the IP address as a security measure. A factory reset will revert back to the label at the bottom.