cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Bridge V1000H VDSL modem. Firmware 31.121L.13

politick
Neighbour

Telus have just installed my new VDLS link, I've just subscribed to the 25M down / 5M up.

I need to bridge the VDSL modem to an ethernet port on THEIR supplied V1000H so I can use my Linux router with my new Telus connection.

But Telus has removed the bridging option form the modem firmware.

Can I get Telus to bridge it for me?

or

Can I flash a stock "actiontec V1000H" to remove the Telus firmware

or

Should I cancel my subscription with Telus?

Kind Regards,

Martin Politick.

11 REPLIES 11

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could request a T1200H modem, if connected to fibre, so you can use Bridge mode. This modem is used when Optik is installed, so you may need to sweet talk the Telus staff person you are speaking with if you do not subscribe to Optik.

You can also share what you are trying to accomplish by connecting your router, to see if anyone has figured a work around.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

politick
Neighbour

Good day Newfoundland2BritishColumbia,

If you insist …

Here are my current network services:

- VPN to my house using OpenVPN in bridge mode 

- VoIP with my personal PBX at home using SipXecs

- 4 subnets

o MainLAN 192.168.10.0/24 House LAN

o VPN 192.168.99.0/24         when connected remotely

o Voip 192.168.11.0/24         For Phone so voice is not choppy

o Suite 912.168.22.0/24        For my Tenant downstairs

I want to keep my subnets:

When my Cisco 7960 phones were on the Main LAN, it could get choppy when the kids were copying big files over the network.

I don't want my tenant to have access to my NAS & my DLAN ( Plex ).  I have specific firewall rules for that.

Some limitations with the V1000H:

- It does not provide VPN, to do VPN to a server behind a NAT is very tricky

- It does not allow for other static route configuration (so it could route through my Linux server to access my other subnets)

- My VoIP Phones need a bunch of special DNS & DHCP entries. (I could manage that by isolating my phones and provide DHCP only from Linux box)

If I configure my V1000H to have my Linux router as a DMZ, I need to tweak all my network setings & firewall settings to take into account that it’s not being NATted and that’s a lot of work.

politick
Neighbour

Tech support were very polite but unfortunately they told me that they could not help me to configure the moden in Bridge mode.  That would prevent them from diagnosing & trouble shooting remotely (to INSIDE my house i.e. their modem) in the case that something would happen in the future.  My only way to get this was to upgrade to a business service (with the cost associated).

Yes I agree that my setup is not a typical house setup.  Yes my professional life is is computing and networking but all I'm asking is the option of refusing Telus' "help" in doing networking in my house.

(i.e. All I want is for them to bridge my ethernet packets to VDSL on the copper line).

So I had to cancel the service after 2 days of service.  So that was unfortunate, probably even more for Telus because there was a cost to dispatch a technician to the de-mark point and setup & test the modem.

Anyway the good thing is that I'm NOTmad at Telus because they were very professional about the whole thing and they did not decide to hit me with a big bill for cancelling so soon.  So thanks Telus, maybe next time.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User
So you didn't try requesting a T1200H modem? The V1000 cannot be bridged without loading hacked firmware on it and that has a whole lot of other issues. The T1200H, which was previously suggested to you, allows bridging out of the box.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

politick
Neighbour

politick
Neighbour

No I did not request the other modem because we don't have fiber here. The VDSL is brand new in our area (they must have just upgraded their equipment at the central).  Also all our wires are underground (electricity,cable and telephone) so it will rain cats before we get optic to our house due to the cost.

Anyway, it was already complicated enough and obviously I'm not part of their target customer group (Wich is fair and a legitimate business decision).  I mean, I've read other customers that did bridge their V1000 before but got pushed a new firmware on their modem and lost that ability. The same could happen to the T1200 in the future. 

Since then, I've found a VDSL reseller that does offer bridging And the option to have static addresses! 

Doug1Ames1
Ambassador

In fairness to Telus, I've read many posts from people anticipating problems with connecting their own router to a LAN port of the V1000H, but I've yet to see someone confirm that they had an actual problem. When I switched from a Shaw modem, I plugged my router straight into the Actiontec V1000H LAN port and made sure it was in the DMZ. Then I just treated the Actiontec as a modem for the most part. I haven't had any problems at all with VPN, VoIP ATAs, or remote access to my NAS or IP webcams. No special measures needed, no adjustments of my LAN setup or device settings.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Just request a T1200 already. The T1200 supports bridging right out of the box built into the settings. You could have sorted this out a long time ago instead of spending over four months trying to crack the V1000.

The V1000 is not officially supported as bridged. You have to use unverified firmware to do it which may or may not be safe and if you did not purchase the V1000 in full, it's still technically Telus' property and you shouldn't be putting hacked firmware on it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

The instructions above does not change the firmware, it just re enables the option that was hidden in the graphical interface. Telus did not create new software for the router, they just merely change the html GUI so this option does not show on the interface, hence "disabling the feature" because the GUI does not show it to you. Not because the unit can't do it.

I guess that the html hack must be known by telus techies, because it got deleted very fast. I guess that people reading this will have to Google for this simple solution. Otherwise posting it again will likely just disappear as fast as it did.

Martin Politick.

Life is too short to waste time trying to solve non-problems. I can't believe the amount of effort people spend trying to bridge their Telus router because they worry that they might have some problem with cascading routers. Just try the simple and supported way first, and you might save yourself some unnecessary effort.