How do u have to pay per GB you go over in your internet plan

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

Like I was on the phone with Telus support today and the told me that like starting next month they are ganna start to charge you for going over your data 

Highlighted
Connector

Depending on which plan you have, if you go over your limit, you will get charged for it.  Example.....

Additional usage will be provided in 50GB increments

1st increment is $5.00

Additional increments after the 1st are: $10/50GB

Up to a maximum charge for additional usage of: $75 (maximum reached at 8 increments or 350GB and above)

The unused portion of the last increment expires at the end of the current bill cycle. Data usage is reset to zero at the start of the next bill cycle and the regular monthly plan usage allowance applies.

Additional Usage Charge

0-50 GB $5

50.01-100 GB $15

100.01-150 GB $25

150.01-200 GB $35

200.01-250 GB $45

250.01-300 GB $55

300.01-350 GB $65

350.01 GB and above $75

A way to avoid this is, monitor your usage at telus.com.  Register if you have not already done so, or if you find you are going over your limit per month, you can upgrade your service (if available) or add the unlimited usage for $15 per month. 

Highlighted
Advocate

Something to keep in mind with monitoring usage is that the usage monitor on the Telus website is DAYS behind.  I checked my last usage amount 2-3 days before end of bill cycle and it read 463GB, with very little usage in the last couple days it finally updated and I am now 10GB over the cap.  I am not being charged for it yet, just something to keep in mind.  Also, the unlimited add on is only $15.00/mnth if you have OptikTV.  If you do not the same add on is $30.00/mnth.

Highlighted
Connector

Make sure to complain if you do go over and tell them you refuse to pay for going over unless they credit you for any months thats you were under. They need to know that they cant rip people off like this

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Drax, that's not how the services work. Your plan starts with X amount of data. You will never get a credit for unused data, ever. If you use more data than is included with your plan, then you will have to pay for any overage. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Connector

Thats bs, if I pay $xx for Xgb of data and don't use it all I should get a credit. If not then why should I pay for going over. Its just a money scam

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

It's not a scam at all. The terms of service are clearly laid out and publicly available prior to purchase. You can decide if you want to get the service with the terms as is. If you don't like the terms, you can wait until an internet provider starts offering per GB internet service.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Connector

It's still bs they charge way too much for internet as it is. You must work for telus or be very rich in order to think it's okay to charge so much for something that cost them pennies to supply

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@drax86

Neither you, nor I nor @Nighthawk have any idea what it costs Telus to supply Internet connectivity. I do know that my town has recently been served by fibre optic. I **KNOW** it was not a cost of pennies to install the infrastructure, yet my monthly costs for telecommunications services have lowered since the upgrade. 

When you go to an all-you-can-eat buffet, do you expect to consume the same volume of food every time? If you rent a vehicle with 200 'free' km per day, do you drive in circles around the parking lot to use all the kilometres?  Ever bought milk by the gallon, even though you regularly throw some out, because it is cheaper than buying 3 quarts?  Do you use all the minutes on a long distance plan every month? Telus could supply by-the-GB pricing, but most folks prefer to have a regular bill with no surprises, rather than a metered cost such as hydro or natural gas. Many folks are prepared to take a package of a product or service at a fair price, rather than pay a higher cost per unit consumed.

You are not obligated to purchase your internet service from Telus. Most parts of western Canada are served by more than one ISP. You could also go to your local library, community centre, or coffee shop and connect to the 'net there. You have many options. As I say in the business I am in - water is free, but if you want it delivered to your house in unending supply, available at your tap 24/7, and safe to consume, it's going to have a pricetag attached.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Connector

Well you are welcome to pay for going over your data usage but I wont stand for having to pay for overages over my already high priced internet. I could switch put the prices are the same no matter where I go. No competition at all in canada

Highlighted
Guardian

What we are paying for is the access to the data not the actual data. It's not like we are buying the bits that travel down the pipe. So for the month we have access to the specified amount of data. Whether we use it or not is irrelevant.

Think of it like renting a hotel room. What you are paying for is access to the room. If you only spend 12 hours a day in a room you rented for 2 days do you expect the third day to be free because you banked 24 hours of unused room access?

Highlighted
Connector

Yes we pay for the access to the data not the amount of data. So there should be no data cap at all.

Also with your hotel metaphor I also dont expect the hotel to charge me for watching too much tv or having to many showers

Highlighted
Guardian

So there should be no data cap at all.

Going back to my hotel room analogy, that's like saying paying for one room gives you access to a larger room or as many rooms as you like.

I also dont expect the hotel to charge me for watching too much tv or having to many showers 

The hotel isn't charging you for access to TV or showers. The hotel is charging you for access to a room. What you do in the room is your business 😉

Highlighted
Connector

Telus is charging me for my speed (size of hotel room) so how much I use it should be my business also

Highlighted
Guardian

Telus is charging me for my speed (size of hotel room) so how much I use it should be my business also

"How much" is a quantity (size). "How fast" is a speed.

How fast you can get to your room is determined by the room's proximity to the elevator. The closer you are to the elevator the faster you can access your room. Whether you are close to or far from the elevator your room is still the same size. You can take advantage of your proximity to the elevator to your heart's content. You still have to pay more if you want a bigger room.

Highlighted
Coach

i have a great plan UNTILL you go over on data it is $100 per  gig WTF   yes this is true $100 per gig

overage   not cool telus ...... my contract is finished in november so as of june 3 i am FREE

telus used to be the best in all areas of customer service ....BUT NOT ANYMORE...they do not care and encourage you to go elsewhere....hmmmm  intresting concept one shoud be trying to maintain its customers as to push them out the door !!!!

just wondering if i can live on this board and get the teus ambassador plan to  preach for telus ???

i know how it works guys 😉