How do I setup my own router with Internet fibre service?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

nova1
Neighbour

Here is the situation:

I would like to use my own router-a synology rt1900ac.

I used this router with a telus fibre modem for the past month or so without any problem. However two nights ago we had a service outage in the area and after that my synology router drop out connection every 10 mins. If I disconnect the wired WAN cable and reconnect it to the router it will re-connect to the internet for around 10 mins than drop out again.

This was not a problem until a service outage in my area two nights ago. Was there some setting been changed on the fiber modem side that has not been received by the router?

The only thing I can find that's missing in my router's ISP settings is:

Hostname

DHCP client ID

DHCP client option

Could this be the problem?

Thank you

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Here is my info

Hostname: home

DHCP client ID: no info

DHCP client option: no info

Not sure if this info will help or not, but feel free to try.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
nova1
Neighbour

Thank you for your reply. Too bad it didn't help.

I did noticed that the Telus router does lease renewal every 10 mins. Sometime I get a new ip address after renewal.

10mins is the same amount of time my own router can still connected to the internet. Could that be the reason? Maybe lease renewal time was recently changed on telus's end?

If this is the reason what information I need to setup lease renewal? Thank you

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Historically lease times were on the order of 24 hours. Someone else queried lease times a few days ago, and at that time I looked and saw 10 minute lease times (renewal at 5 minutes). A day later I was seeing 3 or 4 hour leases (I haven't waited to see exactly how long).  It seems your lease might not be renewing properly if a 10 minute lease expires.  Maybe time for a trouble ticket to Tech Support?

Have you a Telus supplied router you can try instead?

NFtoBC
nova1
Neighbour

Already contacted them. Too bad their tech have no idea what to do.

I am using a telus router right now but it's wifi can't reach my second floor and telus won't help if I am using my own router.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've used a Linksys AC1200 Wi-Fi Range extender to good effect. Model RE6500.

If you have the ability to run an Ethernet cable to the second floor, I have seen good effect with a d-link DIR-605L or equivalent used as well.

NFtoBC
nova1
Neighbour

thanks, another reason i would like to use my own router is synology supports VPN. Can be very handy when using public wifi outdoor.

but looks like this is not happening anytime soon. thanks NGtoBC

JTL
Advocate

I just checked and at least in Vancouver DHCP lease times are 4 hours long, my router (pfSense) renews the lease every 2 hours, although other routers can be different.

nova1
Neighbour

Problem Fixed. It was the white box causing the issues. The white box won't able to talk to the telus server for some reason.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

It is rare the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) causes problems. Thanks for sharing.

NFtoBC
nwaanders
Neighbour

Hi nova1, 

I am currently experiencing the exact same problem you seemed to be having. I am trying to connect my Synology RT2600AC to the purefibre network, but it keeps losing the internet WAN connection after about 10 minutes. This happens when directly connected to the Nokia G-240G-A (skipping the t3200m) and also when connected to the Telus t3200m router in bridge mode. 

Currently the only way I can get it to work is to use the t3200m as the router, and just use my Synology RT2600AC as a wireless access point. I'd really like to use the router part of the Synology and skip the t3200m all together.

What did you do to fix it? Did Telus replace your white Nokia G 240G-A box? Did you find a different solution?

DaveinNV
Just Moved In

Interestingly enough, I am having the same issue, started on Monday. The DHCP lease time as assigned by Telus' server drops from 4 hours to 10 minutes sometime in the evening, and the 3rd party router can't seem to handle it. The system is ignoring the "renew" command from the device connected. Funny enough it comes back online 1 hour and 50 mins after the connection drops out... 

Now I am not on Fibre yet, but using paired DSL, but the symptom is the same. And for those that know DHCP lease times, the protocol specifies that the DHCP device should request a renewal at half the lease time. More on that below.

I notice the 10 minute lease by looking at the Status screen of the T3200M at 192.168.1.254. None of my routers show the lease expiry like the T3200M does. I have tried several routers and PCs directly connected to the Port 1 Bridge of the T3200M. Here is what I found:

Cisco RV042G - When it gets the WAN IP assigned by DHCP, after exactly 10 mins and 2 seconds, the connections drops. Clicking the "renew" does nothing. Clicking release, then clicking renew restores the connection, with a new WAN IP address.

WRT54G running Tomato - Same as the RV042G, even to the second of the disconnect.

PC connected direct - This is where it gets interesting... It also does a disconnect exactly 10 minutes and 2 seconds after obtaining an IP also. ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew gives a new WAN IP as expected, and 10 more minutes of service. However, the lease time on the windows PC shows 4 hours, NOT 10 minutes.

So if I put all these findings together, it seems that the Telus DHCP server is broadcasting that it is a 4 hour lease, but dropping it after 10 minutes. It is also ignoring manual renew commands during that 10 minutes.

This morning, the lease time had returned to 4 hours on the T3200M, and the problem was not there any more with devices on the Port 1 Bridge. My only guess is someone programmed a script to lower the lease time when they are running high utilization on their DHCP IP pool, but for some reason the lease time is not being sent correctly to any device but their own routers.

Dave in North Van

nwaanders
Neighbour

Ah, thanks for the detailed information Dave! I'm in the Vancouver area as well, so maybe it is a regional thing?

I also noticed the lease time being 10 minutes when looking at the menu for the T3200M. Interesting to hear that other router brands have the same problem, I was starting to get a bit worried my router was broken. 🙂

Currently I have my Synology router connected like this: ONT->T3200M->Synology. The T3200M is set to the regular router mode, but with wifi disabled. When I set the T3200M to Port 1 Bridge mode I get the same 10 minute disconnect. 

So putting the T3200M in the middle 'fixes' the problem for me, but obviously I would much prefer the T3200M wasn't there to add another NAT to the package.

If the lease time isn't communicated properly to any other routers, how do you think the T3200M is receiving it properly? Do you think this Is it a Telus specific thing?

nwaanders
Neighbour

What might be happening is that the Telus DHCP is miss-configured when it jumps to 10 minute renew times?

See 4.4.5 in the spec: https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2131.txt

"The client maintains two times, T1 and T2, that specify the times at which the client tries to extend its lease on its network address. T1 is the time at which the client enters the RENEWING state and attempts to contact the server that originally issued the client's network address."

"Times T1 and T2 are configurable by the server through options. T1 to (0.5 * duration_of_lease). T2 defaults to (0.875 * duration_of_lease). Times T1 and T2 SHOULD be chosen with some random "fuzz" around a fixed value, to avoid synchronization of client reacquisition."

It sounds like T1 is NOT set to (0.5 * duration_of_lease) in the Telus router, but is set to 10 minutes hardcoded.

NightHawk007
Connector

Why does telus make it so hard it is very easy on Shaw cable just bridge connection to one port ant the way you go .NO bridge option 

DaveinNV
Just Moved In

I am not sure what the real issue is. But having my second router behind the NAT of the Actiontec is not an option for me.

I agree that it is a mis-configuration of the Telus DHCP server, or something in the DHCP server sending different responses to devices that match the MAC address of the Actiontec devices. 

I have learned that Pure Fibre seems to always have a 10 minute DHCP lease per a few friends on the service. DSL usually has a 24 hour or 4 hour lease. It was when the lease time was switched to 10 minutes that the problems started for me.

And for the person who mentioned Shaw being easier - The issue is that the Actiontec is a special router set up for the Multicast of Telus TV. Shaw is just pure TCP/IP - it does not broadcast its TV signals in the same subband as the internet signals. So turning the modem into a pure bridge does not affect the ability to watch TV like it would for Telus and the Actiontec.

I have had both services and choose to stick with Telus DSL

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@DaveinNV wrote:

I have learned that Pure Fibre seems to always have a 10 minute DHCP lease per a few friends on the service. DSL usually has a 24 hour or 4 hour lease. It was when the lease time was switched to 10 minutes that the problems started for me.

I see 4 hour lease times on my Pure Fibre account. I have seen as short as 10 minute on one occasion in the past, but recurrent 4 hour leases are what I routinely see.

NFtoBC