How do I get an Ethernet cable to connect from a router to the modem?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Hello, I would like to connect an Ethernet cable from my router to my modem which are located on different floors within my house. Would I have to call in a professional to do it for me or can I do it myself?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
Cheapest option is converting a telephone jack to Cat5e jack. Providing each telephone jack had direct Cat5e runs back to a single location.

But all depends how your home was pre wired.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

That will all depend on how your house is built and where you're able to run an ethernet cable. If you're able to do it yourself, go for it. It'll be cheaper. If holes have to be made to run the cable, a professional may be the preferred route if you're not comfortable doing things like that. Depending on your needs, you could always use a powerline networking kit. No holes required.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

I bet pinterest would have some good ideas! Or the DIY sub in reddit!

Mobility Client Care Rep
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
Cheapest option is converting a telephone jack to Cat5e jack. Providing each telephone jack had direct Cat5e runs back to a single location.

But all depends how your home was pre wired.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advisor

When I ran my network cables many years ago, I used cables that were rated to be run through or alongside heating ducts. That made running a line between floors much easier. I believe it was called plenum cable