cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get Telus not to give my e-mail to spammers?

RockyRoad
Neighbour

I just recieved spam for "Help Guatemlala" campaign and I know Telus sold/gave my informationt to this group.  I know that they are responsible as I have my own domain and I made an email account just for them (like I do with every business I deal with).  I don't know if I missed a checkbox or what I could have done.  This is the first time I have received spam email on this account. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I do the same thing. I've got single use email address spread across 4 domains and they only get used in one place. It's quite rare but once in a blue moon one of them gets a spam email. So far none of the three email addresses I've used with Telus (mobility, Optik, forums) have gotten any spam yet.

Have you ever given any programs access to your email or contact list? Or is there a chance a program accessed either without your knowledge and may have found the email address that way? 🙂

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

They can get your email address from a variety of sources....

• did you give your Telus email to any survey company?
  • did you give your Telus email to any contests?
  • do the people who you share your email with have adequate malware protection.  Sadly this is where I think my email address gets distributed.

I only gave it to Telus.  If I filled a survey the email I would set would be survey@idonotpostmydomainonforums.com.  I have over a hundred e-mails setup for these purposes.

There are only two people who know about the email.  I am one of those people and Telus is the other. 

A few years back this happened with with Adobe and then they announced had that major breach announcement a few months later. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I do the same thing. I've got single use email address spread across 4 domains and they only get used in one place. It's quite rare but once in a blue moon one of them gets a spam email. So far none of the three email addresses I've used with Telus (mobility, Optik, forums) have gotten any spam yet.

Have you ever given any programs access to your email or contact list? Or is there a chance a program accessed either without your knowledge and may have found the email address that way? 🙂

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

How secure is an email (address and contents) from sniffers as it crosses the Internet?

I do not create a bunch of email addresses, and most of the stuff I delete comes from legitimate sources.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

@Nighthawk- I do get spam on some accounts, but it would be accounts I get spam on.  I recently had a telus issue solved I might have clicked on the followup survey or something  I don't recall doing those things, but it is good prompting for a security check on my devices and servers and I can't claim I am perfect.  I jumped to Telus selling my e-mail solely based on most reasonable solution.  I would expect a breach would have prompted a spear phishing attach where I would enter a credit card/PII.  Since you use a similiar solution and didn't receive it; I'll assume that I did gap or somebody just lucked on the e-mail and assume that will happen every few years.  Thanks for the confirmation.

@NFtoBC- Sniffers tend to be very difficult to put in a meaningful place since ISPs setup infranstructure in the most efficient manner and would not send packets to anywhere besides their infrastructure or the infrasturcture of other ISPs.  If you could sniff the internet getting an e-mail address would be trivial.  I would state that if you had the ability to sniff other peoples packets (and are doing illegal things) you would be doing yourself a diservice by taking the time to sell emails.  There are plenty of things that would be much more profitible for a criminal to do with a capture from a sniffer.  I'll avoid the exhaustive list as this isn't the correct place to discuss it, but the e-mail contents for many businesses are in clear-text containing financials and passwords.