How do I disable OptikTV#### Wireless network.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I'm a new Telus fiber+TV customer... I have the white fiber box thing and the T3200M Router.  I changed both my 2G and 5G wifi names from TELUS####2.4G/5G to something different on the router but I'm unable to find where I'd disable the OptikTV#### wireless network. I know this is mine because it has the same numbers as my default network and I unplugged one thing at a time and it disappeared after I unplugged the T3200M Router.

Any one have any ideas?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

To my recollection, this can't be modified. There was a thread discussing this a few weeks or so ago.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Currently it can't be disabled. A future firmware update may add the ability to disable it. The 3200 hasn't been out for to long, so certain features may still be added or removed.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

To my recollection, this can't be modified. There was a thread discussing this a few weeks or so ago.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Found the thread you referenced. It had a picture of the OptikTV#### wifi network under the 5G WPS bit. I never noticed this before but it gave me an idea.

I disabled the 5G Frequency under basic settings. My 5G wifi network went away but so did the OptikTV#### network. Good enough for me, Cheers.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I use 2.4G for years.  After use the 5G from the T3200M, there is no turn back.  It give me much faster download and upload speed in close range or from longer distance (3rd floor).  Unless you are still using the old computer or cellphone, there is no way that you turn off the 5G and use the 2.4G.

As long as the signal from OptikTV####-5G does not slow down or interference your 5G wifi network, I will just leave it there.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

My goal here was to disable the OptikTV#### wifi network. The only way I was able to do that is disable 5GHz altogether. My original question has been solved.

While I agree that 5GHz is faster then 2.4GHz you can still get reasonable speed out of the 2.4 band. Though, If you want the best speeds you should be using wired. Wired is more secure, faster, and much, much more reliable. I look at wireless as a convenience that wired can not provide and the 2.4GHz is more then enough for my laptop and cellphone. In fact, 2.4GHz is just fine for 1080P Netflix and youtube. Everything else is wired and I get gigabit speeds locally and the full 150/150 over the internet.

A fun fact, WPS is VERY insecure. Given enough time it can be cracked, Google it. You cannot disable WPS on the OptikTV#### wifi network. I could look past an extra network that I cant turn off. However, I cannot disable WPS on it and this is something I cannot look past. EDIT: On top of this, I cant change the default password OR the wifi name. Someone somewhere has access to this information and if they wanted to this would give them complete access to my internal network. For these reasons I have disabled the entire 5GHz frequency.

If I really cared enough I could go out and buy a router with proper firmware that will let me do what I want. However, I don't care enough and 2.4GHz is great for my wifi needs. Everything else is Wired.

Highlighted
Ambassador

This definitely needs to be addressed in a future Firmware update...I escalated the concern with Telus support awhile back from previous thread.

Highlighted
Resident

Have you heard back from TELUS support?

Can someone please share the link to the other thread about this issue?

Thank you

Highlighted
Ambassador

No word back yet not that I'm really expecting to hear anything honestly...below link was my previous mentioned thread about half way down.

31.164L.06 is my T3200M current Firmware which has not changed since Sep.

http://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/T3200M-port-forwarding-restrict-source-IP-not-avail...

Highlighted
Helpful Neighbour

You require this wireless network for your wireless Set Top Boxes for your OptikTV

Highlighted
Ambassador

@WESTLOCK420 wrote:

You require this wireless network for your wireless Set Top Boxes for your OptikTV

Some people including myself are cord cutters and have standalone Internet for streaming rather than subscribing to our pitiful CATV service in this country hence it would be preferable to disable the unnecessary broadcast.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I have it working with out this wireless network. I'm not even using the T3200M router any more and OptikTV works fine.

Highlighted
Ambassador

FYI T3200M rebooted during my usual late night YouTube session around 1am appears they're pushing new Firmware showing 31.164L.08 now which finally has a new option to disable wireless IPTV band Robot Very Happy

OptikTV.jpg

Highlighted
Ambassador

Is there any way you can force a firmware upgrade on the T3200M?  So far I can't find any option for that in any of the menu settings.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Answered my own question ... I rebooted the T3200M and it loaded the L08 firmware and rebooted on its own ... and now it has vL08.