cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible experience.

Sdkelly
Helpful Neighbour

I'm not going to go into all the boring details (boring to everyone but me of course) of our horrendous experience getting Optik, the end of the story results in me asking the tech to just check to see if the computer is working (with the new high speed Optik).

He looks at our desktop, asks if it's wireless, when I say "no", he informs me that the Optik won't work...our choices are either a new computer, a laptop and/or go to Staples and ask for a wireless USB card. 

I was not impressed that after all of telus's promises about how amazing Optik would be, that no one would tell us what we needed to actually have it work. This is after weeks of screw-ups and no shows and phone calls never returned. 

Anyhow, I got what I needed from staples, a D Link , and when I followed the instructions, it doesn't work.

As you may have gathered, I am NOT computer savvy, so please excuse what may seem a really stupid question, particularly since I am really at the end of my rope.

Do I need to unplug my old modem? As it is, the new wireless modem is upstairs and the TV and iPad work perfectly. The downstairs desktop is the same as it always was, everything plugged into wall outlets etc. When I go to "connect to wireless network", it says I am  already connected to broadband network 3. (It then asks if I would like to " browse the Internet now?", but when I try, it's like molasses and most pages won't even load. I think when the Optik was hooked up, the Internet was changed. 

A week or two ago, when telus mistakenly thought the Optik had been installed, they changed the Internet "flow" and it took a full day for them to fix it. This seems to be the same, except we DO have Optik now, but I am clueless as to what to do.

Thank you in advance, from a complete helpless and frustrated customer.

9 REPLIES 9

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The fact that the iPad and TV "work perfectly" indicates that the Telus internet is working properly. Your desktop would be better if connected by an ethernet cable to the Telus Gateway, but if it is in a location where you can't run a cable, or you don't want to move it to a location where you can connect an ethernet cable, then you need to set up a wireless card  to connect it the gateway's Wi-Fi  for your desktop or possibly a power line ethernet device to transfer the signal through your house wiring from the gateway to your desktop. If you can connect by cable, the internet connection is automatic.

What D-link device did you get? What steps have you taken with it?

Have you disconnected the connection to your old modem? It should be unplugged from the wall, from the electrical plug and from the back of your computer.

What is the name of the wi-fi network your iPad is connected to? Your desktop should be connected to the same network - usually Telus#### through the wireless adapter you purchased. "Broadband network 3" does not sound like a Telus gateway ID.

How well does the iPad work when used in the room with the computer?

What computer operating system are you using?

Finally, if you feel completely overwhelmed, contact one of the small  computer support businesses in your town, and ask them to come to your home and set things up for you. It may be the least frustrating route to take for a person such as yourself, with limited computer skills.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Sdkelly
Helpful Neighbour

You have given me awesome tips, I will check out all the things you've mentioned tomorrow. Thank you so much for a quick answer! 

Sdkelly
Helpful Neighbour
You are amazing. Thank you for your help. It was (blush) as simple as installing the Dlink and unplugging the old modem.

I think for many people, unplugging the modem is such common sense that it doesn't even need to be mentioned, but to less savvy people such as myself, step-by-step instructions need to LITERALLY be step-by-step.

Thank you again, so much.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User
  • if your PC is showing broadband 3, that would likely mean it's still plugged in to an old router or the old modem if the tech told you to get a wireless adapter. If the old modem / router has no internet connection, the PC may just see the local network that's connected.
  • What version of Windows are you using?
  • What model is that Dlink adapter?
  • Where is / was the old modem located before / after the installer came out? Is it still on and is the PC still plugged in to it?
  • Was the new one installed upstairs as that's where the phone line comes in? Or is it just at a random phone jack?

The tech shouldn't have just told you to go buy a new PC. That seems rather unusual.

If the Dlink adapter isn't working, check with Dlink support (also: Dlink tutorial videos). Make sure you have the correct drivers for your version of Windows, especially if they sold you an older model adapter. (I buy from Memory Express or NCIX, never Staples) Part of technology does also mean that things can change, often with little notice.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Sdkelly
Helpful Neighbour
Thank you for your easy to understand solution ideas. I will check these out tomorrow, as right now I just want to toss it all through a window! Thanks also for such a prompt answer. Awesome forum.

Sdkelly
Helpful Neighbour
Your hints and ideas were SO helpful, thank you so much. You've made a cranky, non-savvy computer person very happy. It's all working well now, and is super speedy. Checking online tutorials was a great idea.

Thanks very, very much.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Sdkelly

I'm happy to know you found your way through the challenges you were facing, and have arrived at a solution.  Now that you are at a point of knowledge, please continue to return to the Neighbourhood and offer advice & support to others.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Sdkelly
Helpful Neighbour
Heh, heh, I'll return to the neighborhood, but believe me, I will be of no use with any technological advice. I'll be a great cheerleader though! 😜

Pantera
Organizer
I've had many Telus service techs come to my house to deal with Optik TV issues and I can assure you, some are quite knowledgable but most are clueless. Unfortunately, my Optik TV was installed by one of the clueless ones. Keep complaining to Telus until your Optik TV/internet works as it should. At some point one of the knowledgable service techs will appear at your house and will solve your issues.