Hook up a router to my Actiontec T1200H

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

I have the Actiontec T1200H, one PVR and 3 digital boxes, along with the extender/booster. The T1200 is located in the master bedroom along with pvr hooked up via CAT5. The extender is located in the living room along with one digital box hooked up via CAT5. And 2 other digital boxes are hooked up in the kids bedrooms via Coax cable. Wifi in the living room seems to be dropping all the time while hooked up to the 5g network even being close to the extender. Just bought a new Smart tv and bluray. Is there a way to hook up a new router in the living room getting more cat5 outputs to hook to my smart tv and bluray directly. And getting rid of the extender(seems to be garbage anyway). And hopefully the router will provide better wifi hookup. Can someone please help me out THANKS!!!

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, You should be able to install your choice of router on the end of the Cat5 cable. Just plug the CAT5 into one of the LAN ports on the new, not the WAN port. It should then behave as an extension of your existing router.

If this does not work out of the box, you may have to connect the new router directly to a computer and reset a few of the settings (DHCP, & creating a static IP Address being two that come to mind).

I'm sure @xl @Nighthawk and @Dark_Knight can fill in more details as necessary.  Come back if you have more questions.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Resident

i was going to head to staples and buy a

I forgot that i had a 4th gen airport extreme tucked away. How would i go hooking the airport extreme up.  been reading a little, Do i need  to enable port1 bridging in the advance setting on the t1200h??to hook up any of the routers?......would the night hawk be a better unit to get compared to the airport 4th gen

Highlighted
Ambassador

You don't have coax in the living room? You can hook up a device or an extra router to the ethernet port on the back of a PVR or STB that's connected to the Telus router over coax/HPNA. I know it's intended as an uplink port, but it seems to work fine to extend your ethernet network.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@BigB 

I have my Time Capsules connected to the gateway in the same fashion as above. I chose the Network option to 'off (Bridge mode)' under the network tab. The Apple Extreme should be the same.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Rockstar

What kind of speed are you working with @BigB ? It sounds like 100Mbps based on the number of digital boxes you are running. My suggestion would be to make the switch to an AC router and purchase an AC extender. The N router and extender that telus provide are, for lack of a better work, crap. Without a dual band router/extender, I suspect you will continue to see poor wifi performance in your living room. 

@NFtoBC gave you solid instructions on how to set it up. If you need more assistance, you know how to find us. 🙂

iPhone power user