Home automation

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Is there a public api that allows integration/ control of the optik tv box

I would like to be able to send basic commands via my home automation software (indigo)

or the ability to send commands to the boxes via http...

Ie 192.xxx.xxx.xxx?channel=911

Thanx in advance

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Coach

That's a bit of dilemma.  Each Harmony Hub can control up to 3 rooms.  To do so, you would need the main hub in the main room and then IR extension cables to 2 other rooms.  That gives you 3, but the main caveat is that each Hub can only control 1 activity at a time.  That means you cannot be watching TV with control in 1 room, and then also watching another TV in another room on another activity at the same time. 

So in that case, you would need 5 separate hubs to enable that level of control to have them all operate simultaneously by different people in the house.  that could get very spendy, but would afford the best isolation and simultaneous operation.

This thread can get you started in the right direction possibly.  https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D53100006H6boHCAR/one-harmony-hub-for-multiple-tvs-in-dif...

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
There isn’t a public API for the mediaroom platform, it’s a closed system.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Is there a way to send ip based commands directly to the box?

Or anyway to integrate the optik boxes into a home automation system?
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Port 8080 appears to be open
Highlighted
Ambassador

You are probably going to have to research into integrating an  ir blaster into your home automation system.

A quick Google search turned up http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewtopic.php?t=1438

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
@rc correct, but finding the right IP IR repeater will be the challenge. The receivers are finicky on compatibility.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
I am currently using an insteon ir transmitter which works well.

I have proogrammed the entire remote into the transmitter.

Problem is with maceos...

Ie, i can press
Ok

No problem

Try send a macro. 911ok and no luck

It sends too quick and no way to aet a proper delay...

Thats why i was hoping for a way for direct ip controll

While we are at it... where exactly is the ir reciever on the boxes? Im currently placed on the right hand side near the button.
Highlighted
Organizer

I use a Harmony Hub for control, which integrates with my Homeseer automation system.

Friendly Neighbour

Thanx for that!

I considered one of those, but it doesn't have the control I need.

I've got 5 groups of devices to control independently (2 per group - tv and optik box)

from what I saw the best I could do with the harmony was 4, and then, if I sent an off signal or change channel, it would change them all 😞

Highlighted
Coach

I've set my harmony hub to have activities that only target certain devices.  Unless you have the same device that uses the same codes, you can group the devices in certain activities to eliminate sending commands to the others.

My Harmony hub works very well with both Google Home and Amazon Echo for voice automation.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Interesting, i was told that would not work

How many different rooms are you controlling?

I would be controlling 5 rooms (with an optik box in each room) 5 of the same device 😞 and 5 tvs

All with the goal of working independantly from one another

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Coach

That's a bit of dilemma.  Each Harmony Hub can control up to 3 rooms.  To do so, you would need the main hub in the main room and then IR extension cables to 2 other rooms.  That gives you 3, but the main caveat is that each Hub can only control 1 activity at a time.  That means you cannot be watching TV with control in 1 room, and then also watching another TV in another room on another activity at the same time. 

So in that case, you would need 5 separate hubs to enable that level of control to have them all operate simultaneously by different people in the house.  that could get very spendy, but would afford the best isolation and simultaneous operation.

This thread can get you started in the right direction possibly.  https://community.logitech.com/s/question/0D53100006H6boHCAR/one-harmony-hub-for-multiple-tvs-in-dif...

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
Much more elegant solution if telus would allow direct ip control of the devices for use with home automation.

At the very least http push and get commands would work

Pretty sure the Cisco boxes support them, would just need to be enabled.