My home phone was working correctly up to 9:00AM Friday morning. Now, I do not get a dial tone, but just receive the Telus recorded message "We are sorry, your call cannot be completed from this restricted access telephone". Anyone that calls my home phone also goes straight to voicemail. The phone does not ring.
After a 30-minute call with Telus Support, I am told a technician will have to come out to fix the problem. The next available date and time is Tuesday (4 days from now).
Somebody came to work at Telus this Friday morning and incorrectly changed a setting on my telephone line, now it is going to take four days to fix it???
I work from a home office and cannot wait that long without this telephone working. What can I do to escalate this issue.
Home office? Business lines have service level agreements which would mean Telus would fix ASAP. Residential lines don't. Depending on where you live, they may not have any techs available on the weekend which could explain the delay.
If it was a simple programming issue, they wouldn't usually need to send a tech. If for example you have a crossed line that is causing the issue, which is one more likely cause, then yes a tech would definitely be required. A fully restricted line would not even have voicemail so I suspect nothing has changed in terms of the programming. At least you can still access your voicemail remotely (call your #, hit * during your greeting).
Yes, this is just a residential line.
My frustration is that I know it does not require a technician to come to my house. My Internet and Optik TV work fine, and I clearly receive the Telus recording over my home phone (i.e. the physical line connection at the house is ok).
Given the timing of when it stopped working (9:00AM on a working day) and the fact the line to the house is ok, I know somebody at Telus "touched" something that changed the setting on my phone line.
If they (Telus) made a mistake that stopped my telephone service from working, can't they correct it quickly, or am I expecting too much?
You could also be over-simplifying the problem as well. As I said, if it was just a simple programming issue, that they could potentially sort out fairly quick. Before a tech goes out they'll usually check the line first and then go from there.
In the end, all I can do is wait four days for Telus to start looking at it. Yep, frustrating!
I have lived at two addresses in Victoria over the past three years, and there seems to be high number of outages (around 5-6 that have affected the homes I was living in at the time). For two of those outages, Telus sent out an email within four weeks to customers apologizing for the outage. In none of the cases did Telus come to my property to check or correct a fault. It always seemed to be something further up the network.
I remember 30-40 years ago when telephone service used to be very reliable. Seems that is not the case any more.
I contacted Telus Support again, and after stressing the urgency in getting my phone working again, I managed to get a Monday morning appointment for the technician to come out.
The technician came to my house, then spent about 30 minutes working with another technician up the line (back at the office). I asked him what the problem was once it was fixed. He said that both himself and the other technician (back at the office) had absolutely no idea why my line switched to a "restricted access telephone". To fix it they basically "rebuilt" the line back through the exchange (no physical wiring or connections were changed at the house or the neighbourhood telephone connection boxes).
Now I know it was "Magic" that did it. He is that mysterious Telus employee that nobody ever sees, but is occasionally responsible for making a random change in the telephone network when he should not touch anything.