cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Ping

dmo
Neighbour

Once every 3-4 weeks I get really high ping/latency for 2-5 days.  This high latency can range from 300ms to over 2000ms.  Using vancouver.speedtest.telus.com I got a ping of 605ms.  Performing a traceroute showed the following:

Tracing route to google.ca [74.125.225.183]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 31 ms 29 ms 29 ms d207-216-48-254.bchsia.telus.net [207.xxx.xx.xxx]
2 583 ms 595 ms 586 ms 173.182.200.176
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 632 ms 636 ms 613 ms 209.85.255.232
6 * 668 ms 680 ms 216.239.46.162
7 704 ms 707 ms * 72.14.238.104
8 653 ms 632 ms 649 ms 72.14.239.49
9 645 ms 645 ms 647 ms 216.239.46.145
10 651 ms 618 ms 607 ms 209.85.251.9
11 653 ms 643 ms 635 ms den03s05-in-f23.1e100.net [74.125.225.183]

Trace complete.

As you can see hop 1 was fine, hop 2 is where my latency begins and if you look at the IP that is Telus in Burnaby.  Phoned Telus and was told that I am getting  the DL speed I'm paying for and they don't measure their ping/latency so it must be something on my end...

I'm having a hard time believing that as the proof seems to be in the traceroute.  Also, why are they so unwilling to help with latency?  It makes doing anything internet related annoying.

Is there anything I can do or is there anyone I can contact to solve this problem for me?  I have tried many different things and always get the same result which tells me it's my connection and not my setup.

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

dmo
Neighbour

Yes, the high latency always starts at hop 2.  I am just trying to understand why this happens to me every month and what if anything I can do about it and what if anything Telus should be doing about it.

Here is an online chat session I had with a Telus rep that address's some of my concerns:

9:53:11 PM : Welcome! Thank you for using TELUS Chat Support. Please be advised that your chat session will be recorded to ensure a quality customer experience, chats are answered in the order in which they are received.

9:53:11 PM : dmo: Initial Question/Comment: For the last 24 hours I have been experiencing extremely high latency (upwards of 1700ms). I have no virus, no malware, my hardware is all working correctly. Please help.

10:09:14 PM : Liz has joined this session!

10:09:14 PM : Connected with Liz. Your reference number for this chat session is

10:09:39 PM : Liz: Welcome to TELUS Support Centre. My name is Liz, and I’m here to help you today. To begin with, may I have the full name of the account holder and the account number please?

10:10:22 PM : dmo: Account holder is

10:10:45 PM : dmo: Account# is

10:11:03 PM : Liz: Thank you for the information, please give me a minute while I bringup your account.

10:15:08 PM : Liz: Thanks for waiting, hi dmo are you currently playing online games?

10:15:23 PM : dmo: No

10:16:53 PM : Liz: Your internet service is actually not based on ping results, the speed of your service is detemined by the download speed.

10:17:15 PM : Liz: How many computers/devices do you have at home?

10:17:42 PM : dmo: One computer, one ps3

10:18:23 PM : Liz: Is your computer connected directly to the modem?

10:18:31 PM : dmo: Yes

10:19:03 PM : Liz: Can I ask you to stop any activity in your PS3 and let's do a speedtest in your wired computer.

10:19:22 PM : dmo: PS3 is not on

10:19:58 PM : Liz: Okay, in your wired computer, please go to: speedtest.net run the speedtest and tell me the results.

10:21:29 PM : dmo: Download = 2.86 Mbps, Upload = 0.46 Mbps

10:22:58 PM : Liz: Can I have the brand name of your modem please?

10:23:48 PM : dmo: Speedtouch

10:23:50 PM : dmo: ?

10:24:02 PM : dmo: thomson?

10:24:06 PM : Liz: The speed you are getting is very acceptable for the service plan you have signed up for which is highspeed 3.0.

10:24:13 PM : Liz: Are you using a router?

10:24:18 PM : dmo: Yes

10:25:04 PM : Liz: I see. You speed is very good, even if you have a 3rd party router connected to your modem.

10:26:08 PM : Liz: We don't even conduct a speedtest if our client is using a 3rd party router. But in your case, you got the right speed for your service even with that router.

10:27:26 PM : dmo: So, then why does everything internet related seem so slow for the last 24 hours? Tried playing a game, can't because I have bad lag. Go to any website and it takes way longer to show then it ever has before?

10:29:23 PM : Liz: The speed result that you got does not indicate a slow connection issue. It is normal that you experiencing high pings, and latency issue when you play online games. That we can't control as you access as it all depends of the server or host of that online game you are trying to play.

10:31:02 PM : dmo: I understand that but like I also said every web page I visit takes way longer to view over the last 24 hours. Some just load and load and load and then finally show up after waiting.

10:31:16 PM : dmo: Is there anything else I can try?

10:31:53 PM : Liz: Is that happening in your computer?

10:32:55 PM : dmo: I don't quite understand? Yes it is happening with this computer

10:33:08 PM : Liz: What router are you using?

10:34:14 PM : dmo: D-link dir-815, I tried unplugging it and just using the modem and had no change. I tried to switch over to the 2wire modem also from Telus and had even slower speed.

10:35:18 PM : Liz: The slow speed you are claiming does not show from the speedtest results. We can actually track your speed and connection dmo, and we would know if you are getting the right speed or not.

10:35:43 PM : Liz: Your connection on the network side of TELUS does not inidate any slow connectivity.

10:36:03 PM : Liz: Try to clean up your computer with unecessary files.

10:36:43 PM : Liz: Let me check if I can still boost your signal further on our end.

10:40:38 PM : Liz: dmo, are you still with me?

10:40:42 PM : dmo: Yes

10:41:43 PM : Liz: I have boosted your signal to the maximum, try another speedtest although like I mentioned you are already getting the right speed for your service plan.

10:43:30 PM : dmo: Download = 2.86 Mbps, Upload = 0.43 Mbps

10:45:03 PM : Liz: The same speed. Unfortunately, your area is not qualified to an upgrade to a higher service plan. Perhaps you can try cleaning up your computer with unnecessary files.

10:46:42 PM : Liz: You can also try to bypass your router and connect your computer directly to the speedtouch.

10:46:59 PM : dmo: So, my speed is fine. Does telus not help with latency? What I mean is, if I run a tracert to telus.com from my computer I get really high numbers and requests timed out. This seems like a problem but I'm not sure if it's an ISP problem?

10:48:23 PM : Liz: Like I said your internet is determined by the download speed not on pings and high latency issues when playing games online.

10:49:50 PM : dmo: This is not an online I game, I ran a tracert from my command prompt to telus.com and the first hop is fine the next 3 are super high latency and then they just time out after that.

10:51:08 PM : Liz: There are only two issues that's causing that problem, either your computer or your dlink router.

10:51:23 PM : Liz: Do that test without the router and connect your computer directly to the speedtouch modem.

10:52:03 PM : Liz: I understand your concern, but like I said there is no indication of any latency or slow connectin issue on the TELUS network side.

10:53:08 PM : dmo: Alright, looks like I'll keep trying different things. Have a good night.

It seems to me that if this was a hardware problem on my end it would be persistant not intermittent like it is.  Everything I have read seems to point back to my ISP.  I just want to be able to use the internet when I want without massive delays.

Any suggestions would be welcomed, thanks.

View solution in original post

Sounds like one of two things: Either poor line condition or a saturated cabinet. Do the high pings occur during certain times of the day, or are they consistent throughout the day? Instead of reporting problems with your Internet, have you reported a line noise problem (if you have phone service)?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

They don't have anything faster than HS 3.0 in your area? I'm wondering what your line attenuation is. It may impact the service if it's too high. Where exactly are you located? Your IP (207.216.48.254) is bringing up Denman Island if the geolocation databases are remotely accurate... My experience with some of the islands has me wondering if your phone line is not in peak shape (possible line noise, short circuiting). Do you have any static or crackling on your phone at any time?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

5 REPLIES 5

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

When you call in you'll have to ensure you're asking the right questions. Most support reps will just check to ensure your modem is trained up at the correct speed and leave it at that. Normally latency cannot be changed though in some rare cases it might but you have to talk to the right people.

When you experience the high latency is it always the same IP on the traceroute at hop 2?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

dmo
Neighbour

Yes, the high latency always starts at hop 2.  I am just trying to understand why this happens to me every month and what if anything I can do about it and what if anything Telus should be doing about it.

Here is an online chat session I had with a Telus rep that address's some of my concerns:

9:53:11 PM : Welcome! Thank you for using TELUS Chat Support. Please be advised that your chat session will be recorded to ensure a quality customer experience, chats are answered in the order in which they are received.

9:53:11 PM : dmo: Initial Question/Comment: For the last 24 hours I have been experiencing extremely high latency (upwards of 1700ms). I have no virus, no malware, my hardware is all working correctly. Please help.

10:09:14 PM : Liz has joined this session!

10:09:14 PM : Connected with Liz. Your reference number for this chat session is

10:09:39 PM : Liz: Welcome to TELUS Support Centre. My name is Liz, and I’m here to help you today. To begin with, may I have the full name of the account holder and the account number please?

10:10:22 PM : dmo: Account holder is

10:10:45 PM : dmo: Account# is

10:11:03 PM : Liz: Thank you for the information, please give me a minute while I bringup your account.

10:15:08 PM : Liz: Thanks for waiting, hi dmo are you currently playing online games?

10:15:23 PM : dmo: No

10:16:53 PM : Liz: Your internet service is actually not based on ping results, the speed of your service is detemined by the download speed.

10:17:15 PM : Liz: How many computers/devices do you have at home?

10:17:42 PM : dmo: One computer, one ps3

10:18:23 PM : Liz: Is your computer connected directly to the modem?

10:18:31 PM : dmo: Yes

10:19:03 PM : Liz: Can I ask you to stop any activity in your PS3 and let's do a speedtest in your wired computer.

10:19:22 PM : dmo: PS3 is not on

10:19:58 PM : Liz: Okay, in your wired computer, please go to: speedtest.net run the speedtest and tell me the results.

10:21:29 PM : dmo: Download = 2.86 Mbps, Upload = 0.46 Mbps

10:22:58 PM : Liz: Can I have the brand name of your modem please?

10:23:48 PM : dmo: Speedtouch

10:23:50 PM : dmo: ?

10:24:02 PM : dmo: thomson?

10:24:06 PM : Liz: The speed you are getting is very acceptable for the service plan you have signed up for which is highspeed 3.0.

10:24:13 PM : Liz: Are you using a router?

10:24:18 PM : dmo: Yes

10:25:04 PM : Liz: I see. You speed is very good, even if you have a 3rd party router connected to your modem.

10:26:08 PM : Liz: We don't even conduct a speedtest if our client is using a 3rd party router. But in your case, you got the right speed for your service even with that router.

10:27:26 PM : dmo: So, then why does everything internet related seem so slow for the last 24 hours? Tried playing a game, can't because I have bad lag. Go to any website and it takes way longer to show then it ever has before?

10:29:23 PM : Liz: The speed result that you got does not indicate a slow connection issue. It is normal that you experiencing high pings, and latency issue when you play online games. That we can't control as you access as it all depends of the server or host of that online game you are trying to play.

10:31:02 PM : dmo: I understand that but like I also said every web page I visit takes way longer to view over the last 24 hours. Some just load and load and load and then finally show up after waiting.

10:31:16 PM : dmo: Is there anything else I can try?

10:31:53 PM : Liz: Is that happening in your computer?

10:32:55 PM : dmo: I don't quite understand? Yes it is happening with this computer

10:33:08 PM : Liz: What router are you using?

10:34:14 PM : dmo: D-link dir-815, I tried unplugging it and just using the modem and had no change. I tried to switch over to the 2wire modem also from Telus and had even slower speed.

10:35:18 PM : Liz: The slow speed you are claiming does not show from the speedtest results. We can actually track your speed and connection dmo, and we would know if you are getting the right speed or not.

10:35:43 PM : Liz: Your connection on the network side of TELUS does not inidate any slow connectivity.

10:36:03 PM : Liz: Try to clean up your computer with unecessary files.

10:36:43 PM : Liz: Let me check if I can still boost your signal further on our end.

10:40:38 PM : Liz: dmo, are you still with me?

10:40:42 PM : dmo: Yes

10:41:43 PM : Liz: I have boosted your signal to the maximum, try another speedtest although like I mentioned you are already getting the right speed for your service plan.

10:43:30 PM : dmo: Download = 2.86 Mbps, Upload = 0.43 Mbps

10:45:03 PM : Liz: The same speed. Unfortunately, your area is not qualified to an upgrade to a higher service plan. Perhaps you can try cleaning up your computer with unnecessary files.

10:46:42 PM : Liz: You can also try to bypass your router and connect your computer directly to the speedtouch.

10:46:59 PM : dmo: So, my speed is fine. Does telus not help with latency? What I mean is, if I run a tracert to telus.com from my computer I get really high numbers and requests timed out. This seems like a problem but I'm not sure if it's an ISP problem?

10:48:23 PM : Liz: Like I said your internet is determined by the download speed not on pings and high latency issues when playing games online.

10:49:50 PM : dmo: This is not an online I game, I ran a tracert from my command prompt to telus.com and the first hop is fine the next 3 are super high latency and then they just time out after that.

10:51:08 PM : Liz: There are only two issues that's causing that problem, either your computer or your dlink router.

10:51:23 PM : Liz: Do that test without the router and connect your computer directly to the speedtouch modem.

10:52:03 PM : Liz: I understand your concern, but like I said there is no indication of any latency or slow connectin issue on the TELUS network side.

10:53:08 PM : dmo: Alright, looks like I'll keep trying different things. Have a good night.

It seems to me that if this was a hardware problem on my end it would be persistant not intermittent like it is.  Everything I have read seems to point back to my ISP.  I just want to be able to use the internet when I want without massive delays.

Any suggestions would be welcomed, thanks.

Sounds like one of two things: Either poor line condition or a saturated cabinet. Do the high pings occur during certain times of the day, or are they consistent throughout the day? Instead of reporting problems with your Internet, have you reported a line noise problem (if you have phone service)?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

They don't have anything faster than HS 3.0 in your area? I'm wondering what your line attenuation is. It may impact the service if it's too high. Where exactly are you located? Your IP (207.216.48.254) is bringing up Denman Island if the geolocation databases are remotely accurate... My experience with some of the islands has me wondering if your phone line is not in peak shape (possible line noise, short circuiting). Do you have any static or crackling on your phone at any time?

dmo
Neighbour

@VE7ELS - When I have these high pings they are constant and last as I mentioned earlier anywhere from 2 - 5 days.  I do have telus phone service and I have not reported a line noise problem.  Could you please explain that a little more?

@Nighthawk - I'm located in Port Alberni, B.C.  Telus internet 6 is the fastest in my area.   My phone line seems to always be fine with no static, etc..

This morning around 10am the high pings started again, I wonder how long they will last this time....