High Data Usage

YouNoIt
Coach

How can there be such high data usage .of over 5 to 10 Gb a day 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Could be any number of things. Is that total data with uploads and downloads combined, or just downloads?

Just off the top of my head:

• Have any gamers in the house? I've had far far larger single day downloads when new big games come out and updates and patches can be large. I had a 3.8GB update to one of my games today.
  • Secondary to that: If there is a gamer are they streaming their content online?
  • Unsecure wifi?
  • Anyone doing torrents?
  • Anyone using online video chat like Skype?
  • Streaming any video in 4K? (YouTube, Netflix, other)
  • Streaming any video in 60fps? (Some YouTube videos have this in both 720p60 and 1080p60)
  • Do you have one or more Windows 10 devices where Windows Update is set to upload / download updates from your devices to other ones on the network or outside?
  • Any devices with Windows 10 where the updates fail and Windows re-downloads them endlessly trying to install the update yet failing every time? I've had this before though it didn't pull 10GB in a day. 
  • Got a malware / virus infested computer or Android device?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

People were willing to help you but you just refused to provide any information. Your original first post about the service was well worded and highly detailed but your responses in this discussion were unfortunately not. Best of luck out there.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Dude actuallty 150/150 and 300/300 Mbit plans have unlimited usage 🙂

You are silly that is your only copy and past you have .

Nov 27 2018
Telus page
47.9 GB / Unlimited

telus site.JPGThat is from today 

todays usage.JPG

I average 5 GB a day maybe

I only have 2 networks one on the telus router i have my cell phone it and my security panel and no cameras .

The other network is on port 1 bridged that has my pfsense router on it and there is today's usage .

I don't leave my pfsense on at night it is turned off with the switches .

I will install bandwidth on pfsense and it will record all daily usage .

I still want to know where the usage is because it is not on my network i use for internet .

What does the TELUS router show for data usage?

Also what does your account on TELUS.com show for data usage?

The TELUS.com usage statistics will show what TELUS will use for billing purposes, and will exclude optik TV data.

telus router.PNGtelus site now.JPGSo i do not get the usage at all .

Without knowing the time period between the router reset and the start of you billing period it is hard to comment.  What can cause confusion is that OPTIK TV traffic is multicast and excluded from TELUS.com usage data.

Without knowing how many days the 92GB covers it is hard determine your daily averages

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Interesting that WAN Rx, LAN#1 Rx, LAN#2 Tx LAN#3 Tx, and WiFi-2.4G are all the same number of GB - 2,097,152, and that the number of packets don't follow the same pattern.  Looks like a lot of traffic passing your WAN / LAN interface.

telus router.PNG

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Now that tells me there is a problem with telus router port 1 is suppose to be bridged and 2 & 3 are 4k pvr and one digital box .There router has a problem because my router or hp server made into router does not show that activity !!

pfsense.JPGThis is from all day on my network port 1 

Before doing any traffic analysis I would suggest you look at how pfsense is handling multicast traffic (iP TV traffic ).  Pfsense should not be forwarding this traffic, unless some downstream device has requested access  to a stream and igmp is enabled.

From looking at the pfsense interface stats, almost all the traffic hitting it's WAN port is being forwarded to it's LAN port,  so the question is what is the traffic and if unwanted why is pfsense firewall etc  not blocking  it. 

The pfsense box is on port 1 of of the useless Telus router and has it's own ip .I am calling Telus to see what they are are going to do with this horrible fibre internet and tv or going back to shaw where i had only a couple of problems and that was found after removing shaws hardware found loose and not pressed F-connectors which was causing the problems i had .

@YouNoIt wrote:

The pfsense box is on port 1 of of the useless Telus router and has it's own ip .I am calling Telus to see what they are are going to do with this horrible fibre internet and tv or going back to shaw where i had only a couple of problems and that was found after removing shaws hardware found loose and not pressed F-connectors which was causing the problems i had .

Based your comment about the router having it's own IP, it is obvious that you do not understand the difference between routing and bridging protocols and have made some bad assumptions on how things work.

Also, based on the tone of your posts I don't think you are interested in understanding.