Has anyone had a successful, pain free migration to Google Mail?

Highlighted
Connector

Is the end of October now the cut-off date?  I was told originally it was the end of September.  We still haven't heard anything from Telus and I'm getting a bit worried.  Is there any way to contact someone to find out if we are going to receive a notice or if we have somehow been lost in the process?  Thank you.

Highlighted
Ambassador

@misswoolly - I looked back through my saved links with respect to the migration. See this one:

TELUS email powered by Google: What you need to know

It contains this information about how to schedule your migration. It appears you can use the Wi-Fi app to jump the queue and schedule your own time, rather than wait for an invitation.

"

Step 1: Schedule your migration

• You will receive an invitation from us. Follow the directions in the email to securely schedule your migration date and choose the details of your migration. (Please note that due to the number of customers who use TELUS email today, we will be migrating all accounts using a staggered approach.) You will receive an invitation anywhere from June 2020 onwards. Can’t wait to get your invite? You can get an early access pass through the My Wi-Fi app, in the Notifications section. This app is free, and it helps you take control of your TELUS Wi-Fi
  • Schedule your migration by logging in to TELUS Webmail: This way, you will securely be able to choose your migration preferences. If you don’t remember your password, please visit telus.com/reset
  • Learn how to schedule your TELUS email migration
  • "

However, make sure you are prepared for your migration. I would make sure you have backups of any mail that is on the Telus server. If you are not using an email software program to view and manage your email, you should consider downloading and installing one like Thunderbird. Use the POP3 method to link to the Telus server. It will download your mail and keep a copy on your hard drive. It will also accept the Gmail account that will get set up so you have all your email in one place (but not in the same account). 

Highlighted
Good Samaritan
It only transfers part of Telus mail. No mailboxes and several other things disappear and Telus personnel have no idea how to deal with it.
Highlighted
Ambassador

@Oldislander 

Yes, that is why I like to have Thunderbird download all my mail and not trust Telus to do anything. That is what I did and never lost anything. I did forget that there was some email in my Telus Webmail, Sent Mail, folder, but Telus did successfully transfer that to Gmail. 

Highlighted
Connector
Thank you for your support and information.
I have been on hold so much it is very frustrating. I am not computer savvy and especially don’t want to mess up the business email.
Highlighted
Connector
Also wanted to add we are unable to even open our MS Outlook 10 program on the computer.It seems to be trying to connect to the Internet also. Did read that can change the program to work “offline“? then would be able to at least look at offline folders? - just not sure of anything!
Telus seems to have just migrated us all into their own type of delete folder - we are all in the “closed & done” folder.
Highlighted
Ambassador

@BA2020 

It seems like Outlook may be trying to connect to the old Telus account, and it needs to be set up to access the new Gmail account. Unfortunately I have not used Outlook for many years and I don't remember much about it, other than I was not happy with it, and made the change to Thunderbird. 

Resident

My conversion was a nightmare. Every mail moved over to google however now my Outlook 2016 client will not recognize the imap google server and my contacts are totally messed up. I am an ex 20 year employee of Telus and understand IT pretty well. Telus "help desk" said wait 24 hours and see if it works...and its been 3 days and it still doesn't work on Outlook. Fair warning to others...this migration is not well planned. Back up your old info.

--------> I would also HIGHLY suggest that if you have not used your telus online webmail contacts as your primary contacts; that before you go through this migration that you delete every single contact inside of the telus webmail and then upload (import) the contact list that you do use regularly into the telus webmail......or else your contacts will be as messed up as mine.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

My emails transferred over, but not my contacts, notes or calendar.

Also I cannot set up telus email in Outlook 365 on my laptop

Highlighted
Ambassador

@vangirl604 

Are you trying to set up Outlook using POP3 or IMAP? I recall seeing some posts indicating there are issues using POP3 and the new Gsuite Gmail. I set my Thunderbird up using IMAP and it worked fine. I previously had Thunderbird set up with POP3 on the Telus Server. However, I was scared off trying to do it based on the negative posts here. 

Highlighted
Connector

@lgartner  @vangirl604 

For those having apparent issues with contacts, my experience might be of use. Google annoyingly has Contacts as an app unto itself, which you have to pick from the Apps grid.   After conversion, my contacts weren't visible in that app.  However, when I tried to compose a new message and entered the beginnings of a contact/addressee, I was presented with the pick list with the appropriate contacts listed.  That was evidence that they made it through the migration.  Coincidentally, a friend mentioned that her apparent problems with the migration had resolved when she shut down her computer that night and started up the next day.  Behold, the contacts were now listed in the Contacts app.  So, I tried the same thing.  I shut down and rebooted, and the Contacts appeared in the Contacts app.

This note may be too late to solve some people's frustration, but it might be of use to others.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Yes, with Google, mail, contacts, and the calendar are all separate apps. I don't particularly like that aspect, but I guess they must do it to keep the app size down?? That was what I like about Thunderbird. It had all functions in the one program. I pretty much have it back to that state, but it is a bit more complicated with Google and my iPhone in the picture. I now have Thunderbird contacts, Google Contacts, iPhone Contacts, and Ooma Contacts (VOIP) that I am trying to keep all in sync. It is still a bit of a work in progress... I guess what I have gained in this whole forced migration to Google is that I now have mail and a calendar on my iPhone. 

Highlighted
Connector

Thank you for posting this information.  Much appreciated.

Highlighted
Advisor

I have survived the migration and it went really well - I was surprised.  In this household there are two iphones, two ipads, one android phone, a macbookpro, mac mini and two windows PC.

All the apple products went really fast without and issues setup was very easy and the information Telus provided was easy to follow.

The PC's were more of a challenge  - both run Outlook 365 and I thought I would use my skills by manually setting them up - no go.

I ended up using the GSuite sync tool which worked really well - all the mail and all the folders we have were imported as expected to both machines.

The hiccough were contacts but that was not a Telus/Gmail issues as I have mine in icloud and my wife's are in outlook.com. However it was easy to import once the conversion was done. All in all I was surprised how easy this was and how relatively quickly it went!

Highlighted
Ambassador
Curious if we're now able to keep our telus.net Email address after the migration no charge if switching Internet providers 🤔