Did you mean: 

Gigabit on PureFibre

giantbrownguy
Rockstar
12 REPLIES 12

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Been available in my small community for about 18 months now. They must be doing a larger rollout.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

buckycat
Leader

Still nothing about a free upgrade like the  competition is doing.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Compare Apple to apples. Shaw doesn’t even come close to the upload speeds TELUS is offering. That’s a huge difference and every time Shaw increases speeds nodes become saturated.

Wasn’t referring to speeds, I realize Telus is faster than Shaw’s that’s why I switched.

Just call the PureFiber department and see what deal they can offer you. I got a pretty solid pricing on the Gigabit internet plan to re-sign a 2 year agreement (I already re-signed a couple months ago anyways). Note that for whatever reason they still have 1TB data caps per month even on these plans, so you'll want to see if they can throw in the unlimited data plan for a good deal (or carry the included perk over if you currently have it like I do).

I'm getting a consistent 950 down / 800 up. 

Unfortunately not many content providers have the pipe to serve content that fast to me depending on how busy they are..Even downloading games from Steam or Battlenet was capping out around 60MB/s (~500Mbps). I did manage to hit 101 MB/s (~800Mbps) when downloading AC:Odyssey from EA Games though.

The benefit is more realized from having multiple devices streaming and downloading concurrently without bottleneck though, which is a big deal.

Hi, what Telus router do you have? 

I am on a Pure Fibre 150 plan and I have a T3200M router. It has 4 lan ports. Only Port 1 is 1GB otherwise the other ports are 100MB. 

Not a huge deal but my max speeds are being capped on the other non GB ports.

Thanks.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

All of the LAN ports on the T3200 are gigabit. Some lower end devices / computers and ethernet switches may also only be 100mbit. If one of those is connected to a LAN port on the gateway, you won't see gigabit on that specific port.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk wrote:

All of the LAN ports on the T3200 are gigabit. Some lower end devices / computers and ethernet switches may also only be 100mbit. If one of those is connected to a LAN port on the gateway, you won't see gigabit on that specific port.

I've got a 10 Mbps telephone ATA, so I guess I need to review my network topology!

(There are some mighty slow devices still in use out there!)

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Thank you for the info Nighthawk!

Found out it was the Telus cable box that was slowing the speed down to 100 Mps. 

I was thinking about getting the wifi boosters and putting the TVs on the wireless then using hardline Gb speed for the computer (TV computer for streaming Netflix etc).

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Netflix only needs a few mbit of speed. They list standard HD as 3mbps and Ultra HD as 7mbps.

What you could try doing is put a gigabit switch between the T3200 and the Optik box. That way the connection between the switch and the T3200 should remain gigabit. The connection between the set top box and the one port on the switch should be 100mbit.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Just as a heads up you got that a little backwards. HD = 3GB/hr, and Ultra = 7GB/hr. That being said it still seems a little low to me. For HD they recommend 5Mbits/sec, and UltraHD they recommend 25Mbits/sec.  Netflix bandwidth recommendations