Firewall between Wi-Fi and ethernet on T3200M?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I am unable to get the following to work with my T3200M gateway:

AirPrint

Home Sharing of my music collection

Hue lights

It seems anything which needs to connect to my network will not cross from Wi-Fi to Ethernet. For instance, AirPrint fails after finding the printer; HomeSharing quits about halfway through loading the music list (works fine on a friends network); The Hue Bridge is assigned an IP address, but the phone app can't find it (though the internet application will find it)

Suggestions?

Or just switch back to the T1200H?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

That's kooky. I have my phone using AirPrint to my Mac Mini, and Home Sharing going everywhere, as well as remote desktop (through Edovia Screens app) all working.

A few thoughts:

1. Are the devices all connecting on the same SSID?
  2. If band steering is on, maybe turn it off, name the 2.4 and 5 bands different things, and have everything connect on the same SSID network
  3. Worth trying a factory reset?

Those are the first things that come to mind for me.

ScottyJ

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

That block has been in place since the old Dlink DVA-3810 gateways. Wired and wireless devices have had issues communicating with each other, if they can even see each other in the first place. Even wireless printers have issues. Originally back in the day it was supposedly to keep multicast Optik video traffic off of the WLAN as it would have bogged it down. Some ports seem more likely to work but not many. I have a little Dlink AC router (with it's own IP range/SSID) connected to LAN1 on Actiontec for this reason. Nearly anything that is not the TV is on the Dlink. This weekend I'll try rewiring my smart panel to bypass the Dlink and see exactly what the 3200 will do. I can't do the 1200 as I'm bonded.

Hue lights... I just got some of those but haven't tested them yet. I know my little wireless security camera works fine with the 3200 but it's designed that way. Home Sharing I don't think I've ever gotten to work on Mac or PC.

Things I know fail on Actiontec:

- Screencasting to my Roku from either laptop or tablet

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Hmm.... my Hue lights work fine without problems..... did you push the big connection button on the bridge when the app asked for it?

Wait.... which app did you downtown?  There are several when I went looking at the Android store.  This is the one I got.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.philips.lighting.hue2&hl=en

Sadly my Blackberry Passport only listed the gen 1 app with Snap.  It works anyways.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'd offer some ideas but on the T2200 bonded only, so can't test things out. The hue lights etc work fine on it though. But moved it back to my bridged TP-link touch P5 router. One would assume the 3200 firmware wasn't a complete rewrite and used a lot of the older coding.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

This App , which did not ask the button be pushed, though the web app did. The Web app has connected, but not the iPhone App.

Entering the IP address assigned to the Hue Bridge does not connect the App to the Bridge either.

Will try with the old gateway tomorrow!

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sooooo......

This morning I re-installed my old T1200H, and:

Was able to set up Hue bridge

Could access Music on Computer using Home Sharing

Printed from iPhone using AirPrint.

Seems there is something missing in the T3200M software that prevents the proper connectivity of my phone to the rest of the network.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@ScottyJ - Any ideas?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

That's kooky. I have my phone using AirPrint to my Mac Mini, and Home Sharing going everywhere, as well as remote desktop (through Edovia Screens app) all working.

A few thoughts:

2. If band steering is on, maybe turn it off, name the 2.4 and 5 bands different things, and have everything connect on the same SSID network

ScottyJ

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

For me, Roku is hardwired to the gateway. Wireless laptop and tablet, connected to the 3200, can usually see the Roku but can't connect. I can connect to my ethernet based PC from either device and access my files, etc but something with miracast/screen sharing just doesn't work. It does work almost instantly on the Dlink though.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@ScottyJ wrote:

A few thoughts:

ScottyJ

Printer, Laptop and Hue bridge are all  Ethernet connected, so (of course) do not share an SSID.

Tried with Band Steering off, then on. No difference.

Did not try reset, and will have to wait until tomorrow when I can quietly make changes Robot wink

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Ah heh, I'm used to my wifi-only household, I guess. 😉

Keep us posted - I'd be interested to see if playing around uncovers anything.

ScottyJ

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@ScottyJ wrote:

@ScottyJ

Whereas I believe that an Ethernet connected home has less interference. Wi-fi is a black art; Ethernet is just copper!

IMG_1599.JPG

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Dark_Arts_Defence_Beginners_open.png

Defence against the dark arts.

Highlighted
Ambassador

@NFtoBC wrote:

@ScottyJ wrote:

@ScottyJ

Whereas I believe that an Ethernet connected home has less interference. Wi-fi is a black art; Ethernet is just copper!

IMG_1599.JPG

Not to be an ass, but for both the sake of your equipment and your safety do not daisy chain power bars...  Make use of that open socket if you can, even if it means finding another cheap power bar that will have clearance to plug in. 

Daisy chaining of power strips (known in building and electric codes as multi-plug adapters or relocatable power taps), whether surge protected or not, is specifically against most codes. As an example, the International Code Council's International Fire Code 2009 Edition in 605.4.2 states, "Relocatable power taps shall be directly connected to permanently installed receptacles." *Wikipedia 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@NFtoBC Your setup is a little different at the modem side than mine. I got my extra devices in other rooms.

SmartPanel.jpg

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk

Additionally, I have a switch connected to Smart TV, NAS (Photos), Apple TV, and Hue Bridge, but I have to admit, you have me beat!

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've still got a switch on each of the three ethernet jacks. (1 x 8 port, 2 x 5 port) 🙂 

Community Power User
Community Power User

@ScottyJ

In a last ditch effort before inviting a priest over to exorcise the demons from my T3200M, I tried a factory reset. It now works as expected for Home Sharing, AirPrint and Hue.

Thanks for the suggestion.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

@NFtoBC Glad all is working now!